Any mummies teaching phonics at home? Please share here tks

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Any mummies teaching phonics at home? Please share here tks

Postby Katetay » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 pm

Hi mummies out there,

My gal is 4year 2month,I have been reading to her and she can read sight words.because of some financial issue,I can't afford to send her to phonics class and I'm hoping that I can teach her phonics myself at home.

I'm just an olevel graduate and not good in English so I hope mummies who are teaching their kids phonics at home kindly share here .. Really hope to get reply and discussion on how to teach phonics.

I used to follow tamarind blog but it was taken down.so I really don know where should I start or any blog I can follow now.

Thanks in advance
Kate

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Any mummies teaching phonics at home? Please share here

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 pm

Try this website.

http://www.starfall.com/

You can also get a set of books (I used one of the Ladybird series, but there are many other sets of readers now) and just work through them.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mamemo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27 am

My kids started with leapfrog DVDs, where they learnt about vowel and consonants sounds, to blending and forming more complex words.

To strengthen what they learn, we bought a set of Phonics Readers and Workbooks from Popular and work through them with the kids. I think they are from pelangi (Not very sure), set of 4 thin readers and workbook and comes with CD/DVD too.

Together with that, we read every night. Started with us reading to the kids, then read together, e.g. I read 1 sentence, they read another sentence, then slowly, they can read the whole book by themselves. We didn't do the ladybird Peter and Jane..it was too boring for my kids, and for me too. Instead, we did mainly Usborne (very good levelled readers) and Dr Seuss.

There is also a very good website, can print and practice: http://progressivephonics.com/
(currently free)

mamemo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm

My kids found Ladybird's P&J boring too, but Ladybird has other more modern readers too. Popular has a range of them.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Katetay,

You can buy Audio CDs for your kids. These CDs are great cos the stories will be read out in perfect pronunciation and diction, and some even include pronunciation tips and lessons throughout.

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Katetay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:53 am

Dear all parents,

Greatly appreciated all information.really thankful for helping and yes I find it very useful.
Am trying out the progressive phonics today. Will also source for some audio cd from book store .thank u :-)

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:54 am

Katetay wrote:Dear all parents,

Greatly appreciated all information.really thankful for helping and yes I find it very useful.
Am trying out the progressive phonics today. Will also source for some audio cd from book store .thank u :-)

The starfall website also has audio.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TeachingMyToddlers.com » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 pm

I adore anything by Preschool Prep Company. They JUST released some phonics books. Their books always have generously sized print which emergent readers appreciate and it is on the opposite side of the page as the illustration.

http://www.preschoolprepco.com/phonics/ ... xcuP_mSzuw

Along with the phonics books, they have sight word easy readers as well and very effective "meet the sightwords" apps and DVD's. (Apps may not be available in Singapore, not sure if they are posted in your appstore or not.) In general I love anything by this company! However, the DVD's may be slow for older kids but they are perfect for babies and toddlers without a doubt. Some older preschoolers may still like them, too. Leapfrog videos are a definite YES for all preschoolers, but I would hesitate to use them with tiny babies. They are a bit "busy," somewhat have a plot and some humor mixed in, I would probably wait until age 1-2 to introduce them. But with Preschool prep videos, I would probably start even younger as they are straight forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... __JP2QFLws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3IGajWTSgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... jOd6uPj_6c

Also, don't forget that youtube is a wonderful FREE resource and so is www.readingbear.org. Totally free and entirely phonics based. I, of course, love Little Reader by Brillkids, but there are MANY great products out there. I have layered them all at the same time in the past and watched my kids progress skyrocket. :) Good luck!!

TeachingMyToddlers.com
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sembgal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Katetay wrote:Hi mummies out there,

My gal is 4year 2month,I have been reading to her and she can read sight words.because of some financial issue,I can't afford to send her to phonics class and I'm hoping that I can teach her phonics myself at home.

I'm just an olevel graduate and not good in English so I hope mummies who are teaching their kids phonics at home kindly share here .. Really hope to get reply and discussion on how to teach phonics.

I used to follow tamarind blog but it was taken down.so I really don know where should I start or any blog I can follow now.

Thanks in advance
Kate

Hi,

You may want to consider this programme.

http://www.cdac.org.sg/cdac_corp/resour ... 20Form.pdf

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby snowhamster » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:59 am

Hi you can take a look at my new blog for some ideas. I use Letterland to teach my kids phonics at home.

www.mummysamsays.wordpress.com

Give me your feedback too! Thanks!

snowhamster
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child