What picture books do you read to your 4/5 year olds?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What picture books do you read to your 4/5 year olds?

Postby shadedsunshine » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Just curious, any parents out there still read to/with their children? and what is it that you guys love read?

shadedsunshine
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What picture books do you read to your 4/5 year olds?

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:58 pm

I read aloud to my kids until they were about 8yo! Once they could read for themselves around 4-6yo, I read less and less with them, but they still enjoyed the occasional read aloud session. My last big 'read aloud' (over a period of a few months!) was all 7 Narnia books when my younger girl was about 7yo.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:49 pm

slmkhoo,
When u read out loud, when do u pause to explain difficult words or content? My dd tends to be rather impatient n often interrupt to ask the whats, whys n hows. I'd prefer to explain at the end of each para instead of as and when she ask.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:22 pm

bebebub wrote:slmkhoo,
When u read out loud, when do u pause to explain difficult words or content? My dd tends to be rather impatient n often interrupt to ask the whats, whys n hows. I'd prefer to explain at the end of each para instead of as and when she ask.

I will give a quick explanation if I find that they can't follow what's going on. I usually ask them to hold their questions until a reasonable stopping place. If I have to explain too much, then the book is too hard for them. I generally expect to only have to explain once in a few pages at most. It's no fun for them or for me if we have to stop too frequently.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
bebebub wrote:slmkhoo,

I will give a quick explanation if I find that they can't follow what's going on. I usually ask them to hold their questions until a reasonable stopping place. If I have to explain too much, then the book is too hard for them. I generally expect to only have to explain once in a few pages at most. It's no fun for them or for me if we have to stop too frequently.

Thanks.

Agree with the highlighted point.

And most times, she gets the idea of the content or meaning of the word if she doesn't interrupt but just read on. I notice this interruption happen more frequently either when I read to her or if I happen to sit near her when she reads to herself. She doesn't come running to me for explanation if I'm not in the same room.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:48 pm

Back to the thread.

I seldom read to my dd. At times she reads on her own. Other times, we take turns to read a page each. This enables me to ascertain if she's able to read n understand new words correctly, n a chance to discuss the story line. My dd enjoys reading, but does not like to read out loud.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby shadedsunshine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 am

slmkhoo wrote:I read aloud to my kids until they were about 8yo! Once they could read for themselves around 4-6yo, I read less and less with them, but they still enjoyed the occasional read aloud session. My last big 'read aloud' (over a period of a few months!) was all 7 Narnia books when my younger girl was about 7yo.

Did you use to read picture books to them? Especially when they were really young?

shadedsunshine
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sembgal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 am

shadedsunshine wrote:Just curious, any parents out there still read to/with their children? and what is it that you guys love read?

Yes. Started reading to my child since she was an infant. She grew up to love reading, just like me and I'm pleased because her father does not read a single book at all, and I'm pleased to share the best gift in life- that is reading!

Big picture books with great story lines are favorites right now, especially fairy tales. Infant to toddler stage read those small board books that can feel textures, make sounds etc.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:36 am

bebebub wrote:Back to the thread.

I seldom read to my dd. At times she reads on her own. Other times, we take turns to read a page each. This enables me to ascertain if she's able to read n understand new words correctly, n a chance to discuss the story line. My dd enjoys reading, but does not like to read out loud.

When I say 'read aloud', I mean that I read, they listen. My kids didn't really like to read aloud themselves, and I only asked them to when I needed to check that they could read something. When I chose books for reading aloud, I would choose something a little tougher than they could read for themselves to give them experience of a wider vocab and better flow of language. Most kids have a better comprehension than they can read for themselves, usually until their reading skills catch up - around 7-8yo. But it does depend on the child - my older girl very quickly preferred to read silently for herself (around 6yo) and only listened occasionally, while my younger girl enjoyed my reading to her until she was about 7-8yo.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:39 am

shadedsunshine wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:I read aloud to my kids until they were about 8yo! Once they could read for themselves around 4-6yo, I read less and less with them, but they still enjoyed the occasional read aloud session. My last big 'read aloud' (over a period of a few months!) was all 7 Narnia books when my younger girl was about 7yo.

Did you use to read picture books to them? Especially when they were really young?

I read to them virtually from birth. Even books without words (I guess it's not 'reading', but I would talk to them about the pictures). I am a keen reader myself, so books have always featured in our home. I found that it was the best way to get a little sit-down time to calm them down or when I was tired (SAHM with no home help).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child