How to help your child improve Pri 1 Math?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to help your child improve Pri 1 Math?

Postby sembgal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:34 am

I am creating this new topic to share with other parents how to help their own children to improve Primary 1, Term 1 Math. Do not worry at this moment if your children did not do well in Term 1 and need to attend remedial classes in Term 2. I am here to share how to help your child to improve even if you have no clues how to go about teaching your child or do not have the financial means to send your child for tuition.

I have a child in Primary 1 and she did well or should I say very well in Math and she did not have any Math tuition in Primary 1 this year.

The only time that my child attended Math tuition/enrichment was back in her K1 days when she attended MindStretcher Pre-Primary K1 tuition programme. I withdrew her from the centre at end of K1. The programme was very advanced at that time as my child was learning K2 Math as well as some simple P1 Math for her K1 Mindstretcher tuition/enrichment programme. I noticed that she tends to copy down most of the answers from the board onto the worksheets and I have to spend time going through the worksheets with her to see if she really understands the concept and the questions in the worksheets. This eats up a lot of our free time. Thus, I decided to concentrate in teaching her the concepts one to one and she learnt with understanding.

For numbers to 10, the child should be able to understand the quantity of the value. Eg: What is 10? What does 10 mean? Teach the child how to match a given quantity to a given number or a given number word. You can do this by using toys, counters, unifix cubes, etc. The child needs to learn how to spell number words from one to ten, be able to match number words to numerals and vice versa. For counting, there are different arrangements of objects so your child needs to understand the different ways of counting. Your child can choose to count in one path(for worksheets and home practice) or use pencil to cross out the objects while counting (for worksheets). Your child must not miss out on any objects when counting. My child faced this problem initially and I attributed it to my child being careless. Thus, I taught my child how to count in one path to ensure that she can count more efficiently and not miss out on any objects to count.

For Comparing Numbers to 10, this is a progress from counting individual sets to multiple sets. The child must learn how to compare two sets of quantity of objects and find the difference between the two sets of objects by using a number tape. A number tape is a list of numbers numbered from 1 to 10. Teach the child that the numbers on the number tape right side is always greater that the numbers on the number tape left side. The child must understand "greater than" and "smaller than" and know what it really means. My child was given this list of numbers: 4, 5 and 6. The question was __ is greater than __ but less than __. Initially, she stumbled upon this type of P1 questions. I helped her to understand that 5 is greater than 4 but less than 6. The main idea here is that 5 is considered the main number, so 5 is greater than 4 but 5 is less than 6. The common mistake that my child made intially was she wrote down, 6 is greater than 5 but less than 4. I explained to her that 6 is greater than 5 but 6 is NOT less than 4. In this case, the child must be able to compare quantity of objects of 2 sets and know very well which set is more and which set is fewer. My child could not understand what it means by fewer initially. After explaining that fewer means lesser, she understood the word "fewer" in Math means lesser.

For Ordering Numbers to 10, the concept of before and after has to be introduced too and the child must know what is before 9 and what is after 9. Initially, I have to spend time explaining before and after to my child. I explained that you would brush your teeth before you eat your breakfast. You would eat your breakfast after brushing your teeth. As this is a regular routine, she understood what is before and after and I asked her to quote me more examples. She quoted one: I do my homework before I play toys. I play toys after I do my homework. I wear shoes before I go out of the house. I go out of the house after wearing shoes. I wear socks before I wear shoes. I wear shoes after I wear socks. Once the child understands the meaning of before and after, it is very easy for the child to grasp the concept before and after on a number tape in Math. Initially, a number tape was used but graudally, I weaned it off and get my child to visualise in her head. My child could understand that a number that comes before another number has a smaller value, and a number that comes after another number has a greater value.

I will stop here for Primary 1 Maths Chapter 1 (Numbers to 10). So far I have covered Counting to 10, Comparing Numbers to 10 and Ordering Numbers to 10. I will be back to share more later. I hope my sharing will be beneficial to other parents who desired to help their children improve their Primary 1 Math and also for other parents with children in K2 who can start to expose their children to Primary 1 Math. :smile:
Last edited by sembgal on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Re: How to help your child improve in Math?

Postby icy_mama » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:32 am

thank you, sembgal.... looking forward to more tips for the other chapters. :smile:

just a suggestion. perhaps you'll want to change your thread title to include (P1)

icy_mama
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: How to help your child improve in Math?

Postby autumnbronze » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 am

Thank you sembgal!

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Re: How to help your child improve Pri 1 Math?

Postby 3roses » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks for sharing sembgal :smile:

3roses
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Great tips, sembgal! Thanks so much! Do you think forcing kids to do practice papers often at this age would help too?

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sembgal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 pm

Beatrice_NoQ wrote:Great tips, sembgal! Thanks so much! Do you think forcing kids to do practice papers often at this age would help too?

Hi, so far I have not started my child on any top school exam papers. It is a good form of practice but it depends on individual child. If you feel that your child is ready to tackle top school exam papers or you feel strongly for it, you can move towards that direction of using top school test papers for your child to practise. At this current moment, I focus on building an interest in Mathematics for my child and get her to fall in love with numbers.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happy88mum » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:42 pm

hi,

how about those less than and more than qns?eg 6 is 1 less than ___?i notice they get confused

happy88mum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schen » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:46 am

Thanks to sembgal :) highly interested topic!

schen
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sembgal » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:25 am

happy88mum wrote:hi,

how about those less than and more than qns?eg 6 is 1 less than ___?i notice they get confused

Hi, I recommend you to go App Store to download Pinterest and search for Teaching Greater than/Less than. You will see lots of creative ideas from there on how to teach.

You can also go to https://www.superteacherworksheets.com/ ... -than.html

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/maths/numbe ... zL-3-0azCQ

http://www.math-aids.com/Greater_Than_Less_Than/

http://www.topmarks.co.uk/interactive.aspx?cat=9

http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAF6A03EF22F22BBC

The above mentioned are good resources for you to work with your child on more than/less than concept.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby longmao.irene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:09 am

quote="sembgal"]
Beatrice_NoQ wrote:Great tips, sembgal! Thanks so much! Do you think forcing kids to do practice papers often at this age would help too?

Hi, so far I have not started my child on any top school exam papers. It is a good form of practice but it depends on individual child. If you feel that your child is ready to tackle top school exam papers or you feel strongly for it, you can move towards that direction of using top school test papers for your child to practise. At this current moment, I focus on building an interest in Mathematics for my child and get her to fall in love with numbers.[/quote]

yes totally agreed. Is all about creating interest
Always telling DS maths is a big puzzle, a mystery waiting for detective DS to solve!
Once interest is build up, concepts strengthen.. they will b able to FLY...
DS in P2.. nvr hv any maths enrichment. ..&I intend to keep it tat way till I cant reinforce wat I know to him anymore.
Having free time to dream, play n persue chd interest, or simply just enjoying his childhood is so luxurious nowadays... he can hv his share of tuition later in upp pri :smile:

longmao.irene
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child