Inconsistent Discipline Style - will it be a problem?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Inconsistent Discipline Style - will it be a problem?

Postby hee_aaron » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:48 am

Being raised in a very traditional chinese home, I have taken the stance that there are times when punishment must be incoporate into the discipline process, though I certainly do not advocate violence.

If the child teacher in school have adopted a more humanistic approach in discipline (which in a way a good one). I have concerns that the child might distant himself from me (as a parent) as by comparison, I would be seen to be a more devilish adult than the teacher.

I understand the teachers' hands are tight in school from rendering certain punishment due to the Ministry's regulations, yet I am afraid that the inconsistencies in the discipline style given by both of us (the teacher and myself) might cause the child to develop to be more defiant at home.

The reverse situation might also be true for some of us (where the teacher is fierce while the parent is more protective of the child's wrongdoing).

I hope experience parents/teachers are able to share their insights on this issue.

hee_aaron
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby MLR » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:53 pm

My 3 yo boy is in full day childcare from 8am till 6.30pm. DH and I share disciplinary duties. We did came across DS calling out for his teacher when he threw tantrums and we punished him. At times when he is upset about something that we disallowed him, he would also call for his fav teacher, even though its at home and the teacher is not around. We had a talk with the teacher and now he no longer call her whenever we punish him. But in the centre, whenever he is upset he does try to ask that teacher for help. She was the teacher that was taking care of him 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week during his first yr in the centre. This later half of the year hes with the N2 kids for lessons, so he does becomes more mature and better behaved (translate ~ less tantrums). Hopes this goes on till the next episode comes along...

MLR
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child