Are your children successful?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Will having successful children with positive habits reduce your anxiety about your child future?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 5

Are your children successful?

Postby jaime_maxel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:13 pm

I'm a mother of two, and i am very concerned with how i tell my children are on the path to success...

Recently, my 6 year old son lied to me :( Anyone with similar experience?

How do you inculcate positive habits in your children? Are you worried that your children wouldn't be successful?

Thanks!
<3

jaime_maxel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Are your children successful?

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:17 pm

The word "successful" is subjective. A successful person to A may not be true for B.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jaime_maxel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I agree.... But all in all, if you see your child having positive habits like honesty, kindness, integrity, will you be less anxious about whether your child will turn out to be successful?

My son lied to me, and now, i have doubts about everything he is saying... hai..

jaime_maxel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Lying is common among children but has to be nipped at the bud.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jaime_maxel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm

I know everyone lies.. But when your children is the one lying to you, i guarantee you, you will feel very disappointed.

He said to me that there was no homework over the recent long weekend, when in fact there were a whole bunch of them....

My belief is that children with positive habits (like honesty, kindness, integrity, tidying their beds etc.) will grow up to be successful. And which is why, when i see my children having positive habits, i began to feel more comforted and less anxious about their future...

Thoughts anybody?

jaime_maxel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FB555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:34 pm

I think most important is let your child know that lying is wrong no matter whether it is for whatever purpose. We dont want to confuse the kids by saying white lie is good, etc..
Recently, my kid lied when he accidentally loses his money. We punished him by bringing white bread to school and reminded him that lying is wrong. We showed our anger and disappointment so that he understand that he has done something wrong, and he is not supposed to do it.
This kind of process is on going. Kids need constant reminder and punishment to drill into their mind and learn their lesson.

The other thing about good habits is that we as parents must show a good example as well.
I am not saying that you lied but i am saying that kids ususlly follow and obaerve the adults. So if we want them to develop good habits, you have to start showing them by actions and with constant reminders.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jaime_maxel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm

FB555 wrote:I think most important is let your child know that lying is wrong no matter whether it is for whatever purpose. We dont want to confuse the kids by saying white lie is good, etc..
Recently, my kid lied when he accidentally loses his money. We punished him by bringing white bread to school and reminded him that lying is wrong. We showed our anger and disappointment so that he understand that he has done something wrong, and he is not supposed to do it.
This kind of process is on going. Kids need constant reminder and punishment to drill into their mind and learn their lesson.

The other thing about good habits is that we as parents must show a good example as well.
I am not saying that you lied but i am saying that kids ususlly follow and obaerve the adults. So if we want them to develop good habits, you have to start showing them by actions and with constant reminders.

I got show good examples leh... At least I'm aware of...

When you see your child having positive habits, are you less anxious about whether they will succeed in life later on?

jaime_maxel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby FB555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:43 pm

How old is your kid?
First, you have to tell them that homework is their responsibility given by the teachers. They have to take ownership of their homework. Also, they have to respect the person who read and mark their work and so they have to do their work properly.
I always told my kids - how could you feel if you are the reader and someone give you such sloppy work? You will not like it as well.
My dd usually has poor handwriting, so it works on her when i motivate her this way.

Try not to use gifts to motivate a child. Once in a while is ok. As the child grow up, he will find it hard to be discipline himself if you always use gifts to lure them to do homework.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FB555 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:46 pm

jaime_maxel wrote:
FB555 wrote:I think most important is let your child know that lying is wrong no matter whether it is for whatever purpose. We dont want to confuse the kids by saying white lie is good, etc..

I got show good examples leh... At least I'm aware of...

When you see your child having positive habits, are you less anxious about whether they will succeed in life later on?

No. The present is more important than the future. You should not regret what you have in the past in your future because present determines it all.
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jaime_maxel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:47 pm

FB555 wrote:How old is your kid?
First, you have to tell them that homework is their responsibility given by the teachers. They have to take ownership of their homework. Also, they have to respect the person who read and mark their work and so they have to do their work properly.
I always told my kids - how could you feel if you are the reader and someone give you such sloppy work? You will not like it as well.
My dd usually has poor handwriting, so it works on her when i motivate her this way.

Try not to use gifts to motivate a child. Once in a while is ok. As the child grow up, he will find it hard to be discipline himself if you always use gifts to lure them to do homework.

Yeah... I did what you suggested above. Thanks a lot for your concern.

jaime_maxel
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Next

Return to Working With Your Child