How to motivate a child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to motivate a child

Postby Lifeishard » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Hi,

I really need help for my son who is terribly unmotivated. He is 8 years old. He does not like to learn at all. Sometimes when we are too angry to keep correcting his mistakes, he will even ask why we stop correcting him even though he is wrong. He knows his mistakes but refuse to correct them. For eg, when playing Frisbee, he refused to listen to us to do the proper way of throwing it even though he can get it right but he just want to do it in his way which is wrong. His classmates even mocked him for the way he played, so he just stop playing but he still refuse to correct it. All his attitudes towards sports, academic are the same. He refused to listen to us even though we had proven him wrong and he also suffered because of it. But he still won't change. Sigh. ..I really at my wits end. Anyone can help me?

Lifeishard
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to motivate a child

Postby Ben'sMum » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 am

Hi dear my son used to be like that..^o^.. I felt unmotivated too but I didn't give up, I also do the same thing like him and let him feels..^o^.. and I always show him Nick's video..^_^..

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ0UFbU2tFU][/youtube]

Ben'sMum
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby scang » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 pm

Probably you need to understand the child's dominant learning style or ability.
Which of the VAK is his strength and best form of learning.
Basically it is his greatest potential in absorbing and learning anything effectively.
Next, you have to communicate the message across using his dominant learning style to align or be in sync with him.

Maybe the book Internal Drive Theory(R): Motivate Your Child to WANT to Study using the 11 different motivation strategies may help to change his attitude towards learning of any form?

scang
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Kiasu Parent Lor » Fri May 23, 2014 1:09 pm

Normally, I don't advocate this to myself cause I pretty strict.

But in your case, you can try being his friend ? When you have become his good friend, he will cherish that friendship. From then on, you can work miracles.

Of course, the parenting style would have to be change later.

Lifeishard wrote:Hi,

I really need help for my son who is terribly unmotivated. He is 8 years old. He does not like to learn at all. Sometimes when we are too angry to keep correcting his mistakes, he will even ask why we stop correcting him even though he is wrong. He knows his mistakes but refuse to correct them. For eg, when playing Frisbee, he refused to listen to us to do the proper way of throwing it even though he can get it right but he just want to do it in his way which is wrong. His classmates even mocked him for the way he played, so he just stop playing but he still refuse to correct it. All his attitudes towards sports, academic are the same. He refused to listen to us even though we had proven him wrong and he also suffered because of it. But he still won't change. Sigh. ..I really at my wits end. Anyone can help me?

Kiasu Parent Lor
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby ammonite » Fri May 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Is there a power struggle? Eg the more you tell him to do X, the more he won't do X? If so, you can try changing your tone and interaction style. Instead of telling, you can suggest. Eg "I can see where you are coming from/what you are trying to do with this. You can also try this other way or that other way. Experiment and see which works the best for you."

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child