Is it good to introduce comics to a preschooler?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Is it good to introduce comics to a preschooler?

Postby pumpkin_pie » Fri May 02, 2014 12:30 pm

DS is K2 this year. So far he has just been reading normal short chapter books. He loves series books like Geronimo/Thea stilon and other adventure, mystery books. The pictures on his books are getting less and less. I do not know if this is progressing on the right track. Should I introduce comics to him? Any advantages or disadvantages? I just do not want to intentionally introduce comics and end up he is hooked on it if comics is not that good. Hope mummies/daddies can share their experiences.

pumpkin_pie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Is it good to introduce comics to a preschooler?

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 02, 2014 1:51 pm

I would say that there is no harm reading comics as long as the child still reads a wide range of other books. You can always ration them or have some limit of the time he spends reading comics vs other books. It's just another form of literature and more exposure is good (assuming that there is no adverse content in the comics to begin with).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby SAHM_TAN » Fri May 02, 2014 2:14 pm

ds was able to read rather well in K2, and started reading Young Scientist, Science Adventure, and Survival series They are science related presented in comics format. At the same time he also read books by Roald Dahl etc.

If you are afraid that your child will prefer comic format over books, you can make sure that he still read both format.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Beatrice_NoQ » Fri May 02, 2014 5:04 pm

I don't think there is any harm in introducing comic books to your child. Comic book giants like Marvel and DC introduce kids to multiple universes of fantasy.. Their universes are really too vast to be fully explored, and I believe this encourages imagination. I also like the recurring theme where good always trumps evil in the end. Do take note that there is some violence and sexualized content in such comics, i.e. the female characters are often wearing very little, so it really depends on the age of your child and what you're comfortable exposing him to. Alternatively, you can start him off on milder comics like Calvin & Hobbes and Baby Blues.

Graphic novels like Captain Underpants are really cute, too! Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets is a great graphic novel with cute illustrations and a humorous story. http://www.noqstore.asia/product/Captai ... 545599320/

Use code KIASU2014 at checkout for 15% off all books at NoQ Store!

Beatrice_NoQ
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child