Toddler removes arms from car seat

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Toddler removes arms from car seat

Postby DoraTan » Mon May 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi there

My 2.5 year old girl is a great escape artist and has this habit of wriggling herself out of the car seat harness such that her arms are free from the harness. The bottom harness is still secured properly over her pelvis but her upper body are free from the harness.

I know this is extremely dangerous if there is an accident. How do you deal with it to ensure safety of the child?

Thanks !!!

DoraTan
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Toddler removes arms from car seat

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 13, 2014 8:31 am

DoraTan wrote:Hi there

My 2.5 year old girl is a great escape artist and has this habit of wriggling herself out of the car seat harness such that her arms are free from the harness. The bottom harness is still secured properly over her pelvis but her upper body are free from the harness.

I know this is extremely dangerous if there is an accident. How do you deal with it to ensure safety of the child?

Thanks !!!

I would refuse to drive if my kids misbehaved like that. I know that it can be very inconvenient when you are rushing to get somewhere, so start on a day when being late won't matter as much. If you are firm just one day for a few times, she should get the message. Alternatively, have some kind of punishment that fits the crime or that the child minds a lot - sitting strapped at home for a certain no. of minutes, not watching a TV show etc, and remind her throughout the punishment that it's because she misbehaved in the car. You can go the other way of offering a reward for behaving, but I prefer not to do that when it's a case of outright misbehaviour.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child