Help Needed: Lost in Concentration

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Help Needed: Lost in Concentration

Postby Puzz...zzle » Mon May 19, 2014 9:04 am

Hi, My DD used to be the few top girls in class, but she started to lose her concentration easily during lessons since the beginning of this year. She always pick up a little thing to play with in the middle of lessons or while she is doing HW or study. That's annoyed me, many times had threw away those things when I spotted she played with them but still never stopped her from doing so.
Feed back not only from the school teachers, even her tuitions teachers.
All these reflected in her daily works with many careless mistakes made and some working not properly done according instructions. That's not the usual her. I am worry to see her results heading downwards.

She doesn't tell me any problem about her academic as she kept to herself sometimes, afraid to let me know.

What can I do to help her? How to find out the reason behind the problem she has now? Where to get help? Please advice.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Help Needed: Lost in Concentration

Postby jetsetter » Mon May 19, 2014 10:29 am

Hi

Do you believe in Fengshui? If yes, please read on:

2014年流年飞星文昌位为中宫。Is that your DD's study position in the floorplan? Everyone has his/her own study position according to geomancy.

If not known, i.e. 文昌位不能作为书房,可将书桌布置在文昌位也可收效。同时,应在住宅文昌位置上,放置旺文昌的风水吉祥物,譬如文昌塔。Consult Master for accuracy's sake.

Where's her study table?
书桌座位后方要有实墙最好,表示有靠山,主有贵人。(solid backing behind table)
书桌前最好留有平坦开阔区域,表示有前途,有发展空间。
书桌不可背门,容易犯小人。(back not facing door)
书桌不可冲门。(table not directly facing door)
书桌座位后面不可开窗。(do not open window behind table)
书桌不可放置梁下 (beam) 或直接对着空调 (aircon)。
书房、书桌不可紧邻厨房 (do not share wall with kitchen) : 孩童容易有逆反心理,无法安心学习,考试成绩也会像过山车一般时高时低不稳定。

书房门、书桌正对卫生间门 (do not face the toilet) : 文昌星忌污秽之气,若有此现象,则会无贵人、犯小人,影响学习及工作质量。

What's the colour of your DD's study room and table?
If it's pink, red, flowery, glittery...you need to change to GREEN. 房间的颜色可以绿色为主,粉红、大红、深黑色不宜太多,并且墙壁最好不要张贴太花哨的壁纸,以免个性易浮躁不安、无法专心学习。

Are there windows in her study room? Enough lighting?
文昌属木,调整“木”气可以增加孩子的文昌运。“树木”要接受阳光的照射,吸收水分,才能不断成长,因此,孩子学习的主要房间,无论是卧房还是单独的书房,光线都应该明亮。

There are specific ornaments like bamboo, brushes and pagoda that those masters would recommend to you to activate the study position, so the above is only for reference only.
以上内容仅供参考,如有更多疑惑请咨询本站专业大师。

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Mon May 19, 2014 10:43 am

Hi Puzz...zzle, I understand your worry. :hugs:
Some suggestions to check
1. P4 to P5 is a bit of a big jump. Is your DD facing difficulties because of this? Is she fearing this sudden change?
2. Are there any other family stress issues?
3. Has she moved to a new class this year? Does she have her old friends as classmates? Any issues there ?
4. Is she comfortable with her class teachers ?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue May 20, 2014 12:00 pm

Reply to 1 & 4 :
DD is doing fine in Maths & Science but she is one of the weaker students in English & Chinese in her class. I had seen her already tried her best to do her Eng , Chinese HW , studied hard for these 2 subjects , yet still gets discourage comments from these subjects teachers. Teachers only label her as " weak" but no assistant given. Its sad that teachers only favour students who are good in the subject they teach.

She is enjoy being with her classmates, no problem.

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Tue May 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Puzz...zzle wrote:Hi, My DD used to be the few top girls in class, but she started to lose her concentration easily during lessons since the beginning of this year. She always pick up a little thing to play with in the middle of lessons or while she is doing HW or study. That's annoyed me, many times had threw away those things when I spotted she played with them but still never stopped her from doing so.
Feed back not only from the school teachers, even her tuitions teachers.
All these reflected in her daily works with many careless mistakes made and some working not properly done according instructions. That's not the usual her. I am worry to see her results heading downwards.

She doesn't tell me any problem about her academic as she kept to herself sometimes, afraid to let me know.

What can I do to help her? How to find out the reason behind the problem

she has now? Where to get help? Please advice.

Same problem... Mine also drop from top few to I-don't-know-where now.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 20, 2014 12:45 pm

I think teachers (and parents too) tend to talk about the PSLE too much once kids get to P5. It can be stressful, and some kids will switch off. Maybe mention it less, and don't link everything to the schedule of revision, scores etc? Focus on studying and learning is good, but it may not be necessary to remind kids that their futures hinge on this one exam (even if you believe that it does).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Tue May 20, 2014 1:19 pm

I normally chat with my son, who has same problem with concentration, at bedtime. That's when he's most relaxed. And we chat about all kinds of stuff. He asks me about what I did and I ask about his day at school, his playtime with friends, his work. And then I sneak in some problem encountered with his studying, or lack thereof.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue May 20, 2014 2:13 pm

puzz...zzle:

your DD is in GEP or MA?

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue May 20, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi, I think while doing homework or tuition, you can ask her to take out only what are necessary (eg. pencil, eraser, ruler, correction tape and pen) on the table and place the whole pencil case aside (in case she hid anything in it). In that case, it will reduce the probability of her distracted from playing with those small little things.
Haha...you will not believe, once her daddy recorded her, despite nothing on her desk, she played with her toes for 20min. drawing on her nails!! :frustrated:

In addition, you may also want to have a small talk with her (eg. during dinner?), like knowing how her school has been, any funny or disturbing incident etc. Through this, your child will be more comfortable in sharing her problems with you.
My DD will talk to me everything under the sky, except academic problem ( may be she afraid me to know)

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Puzz...zzle » Tue May 20, 2014 2:19 pm

jetsetter wrote:puzz...zzle:

your DD is in GEP or MA?

Mainstream , top class

Puzz...zzle
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next