Recommendations for a professional child psychologist?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Recommendations for a professional child psychologist?

Postby hwtan » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:38 pm

Hi all

I'd like to find out if you have any recommendations for professionals who specialize in behavioral / psychological difficulties for my DD. I wish to send her for an assessment to diagnose developmental milestones, etc.

The problems we're having with my DD:

My DD is in P3 and is easily distracted, often playing make-belief / self –talk with fingers and erasers etc. She is considered very immature for her age (8.5 years old).

She often did not take down instructions to sign/ bring things. Slow learner, so paired with stronger buddies. Some classmates did comment that she is not very clever.

She is very distracted , not keen to learn, brought toys to school and played make-belief, engage in a lot of self-talk, pretending to be an animal, often making crafts, e.g paper handbag etc.

She was made to stay back during recess for failing to complete her homework. However she went off, according to the teacher, seemingly not realizing that she was being punished. When probed why she did not stay back, she just kept quiet and stared, did not say anything. Teacher was concerned that often her behavior seems to be less mature compared to her friends.

With private tutor : She can be distracted (even drawing right in front of the teacher) and not focused, unless the topic is of her interest, e.g. animals. Tutor also commented that she may also behave childish at times.

With math tutor whom she is more afraid of, whenever she could not understand or do any question, she will just clam up and/or start crying and refuse to say anything. Teacher will get more frustrated with her.

Often when doing math or when she faces a problem, she clams up and start crying non-stop. Even when presented with very simple questions.

She also has difficulty expressing her feelings. We ask her how she feels and she will clam up without saying a word for long periods of time.

Thank you in advance for any help you can render.

Re: Recommendations for a professional child psychologist?

Postby Gifts from Heaven » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Have you spoken to the school counsellor about your child's behaviour?
You may ask them for a recommendation.
On your own, you can go to the polyclinic or your own GP/PD for recommendations.
For polyclinic, they will probably refer you to a child psychologist in Child Guidance Clinic.
For your own GP/PD, it will be a child psychologist in private practice.
In terms of cost and waiting time, private practice will be fastest but also the costliest.
If you want to see one in private practice, can PM me.

Gifts from Heaven

Postby luv_kids » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi hwtan, I would strongly recommend Dr Pauline Sim to you.

LP Clinic
Address :#05-01 Mount Elizabeth Medical Centre, 3 Mount Elizabeth S(228510).
Phone :6735 4526

One of her specialities is Child & Adolescent Psychiatry as well as ADHD. There is specific assessment to diagnose and treat the root cause of the issues. As a mother of 5, she is really very experience and patient with kids. I believe your DD and you will feel very comfortable and relaxing talking to her.

The fee is not cheap (about $300 to $500 depending on consultation duration) but I guess most importantly, it is the results that matter most.

I am seeing her for my sleep disorder and while waiting to see her, I always see many teenagers and young children waiting to see her. The clinic is always packed so tell the nurse your case is urgent so they can try to put you on an earlier slot.

Postby adrianoey » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi hwtan.
Has Dr.Sim been able to help your child?

Return to Working With Your Child