My child still can't write a proper sentence... pls advise

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My child still can't write a proper sentence... pls advise

Postby loonshi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi,

Would like to seek advise from mums here. My child is in P1 this year. He was given an assessment on creative writing in term 2 and he couldn't write (as in he can't form a proper sentence structure).

In term2, he was able to perform for oral and listening comprehension (these 2 components were graded) but not for creative writing and open-ended comprehension.

He is able to do spelling and tingxie.

Any parents have the same encounter as mine? In my child's case, is he having learning difficulties? Any mums can advise? Thanks.

loonshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: My child still can't write a proper sentence... pls advi

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:33 pm

loonshi wrote:Hi,

Would like to seek advise from mums here. My child is in P1 this year. He was given an assessment on creative writing in term 2 and he couldn't write (as in he can't form a proper sentence structure).

In term2, he was able to perform for oral and listening comprehension (these 2 components were graded) but not for creative writing and open-ended comprehension.

Any parents have the same encounter as mine? In my child's case, is he having learning difficulties? Any mums can advise? Thanks.

When did he start learning to write English sentences? In K1/K2 or in P1?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby loonshi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Mummy22 wrote:Is he able to read and understand what he's reading?

He can read simple words but still cant read the whole book on his own. I need to guide him along..

loonshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby loonshi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:44 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:

When did he start learning to write English sentences? In K1/K2 or in P1?

In childcare he only did worksheets (fill in the blanks) not much of writing sentences on his own... In P1 teacher gave picture writing with helping words and he's not able to write... is it due to lack of practice or learning difficulties?

loonshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:28 pm

loonshi wrote:In childcare he only did worksheets (fill in the blanks) not much of writing sentences on his own... In P1 teacher gave picture writing with helping words and he's not able to write... is it due to lack of practice or learning difficulties?

Yes, I doubt it is due to learning difficulties. Have you considered signing him up for some English enrichment programmes like British Council or Creative Horizons? They can help at these levels.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:32 pm

Can he speak in complete sentences? Start from there, then get him to write down what he says.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:31 pm

It could be that he had no idea what he was supposed to do when given the assignment. You can just do a simple biweekly journal with him, each entry 5-10 sentences, and handhold him until he feels more comfortable / familiar.

If you mean the grammar / punctuation components of writing, again that comes from practice. You can buy a grammar book from popular and go through them slowly and reinforce regularly.

As for reading, I am not sure what kind of book you have in mind - a reader or chapter book etc. If it is a reader, you will have to work on his reading or see if there are underlying factors hindering him. If chapter book, I think it is perfectly okay if the child needs to check certain words. Make sure the font is of a comfortable size and the subject matter is accessible.

(btw, I just read your description of the school exercise. Ds2 had that as well as homework and I believe many of the kids had guidance from an adult doing that. )

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby loonshi » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:36 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
loonshi wrote:In childcare he only did worksheets (fill in the blanks) not much of writing sentences on his own... In P1 teacher gave picture writing with helping words and he's not able to write... is it due to lack of practice or learning difficulties?

Yes, I doubt it is due to learning difficulties. Have you considered signing him up for some English enrichment programmes like British Council or Creative Horizons? They can help at these levels.

Thanks Chiefkiasu. He didn't attend any enrichment classes as I thought childcare was sufficient as his childcare teacher did not mention he has learning difficulties as he could follow what was taught and he could do spelling in K1 and K2.

Then end of K2 i signed him for mavis P1 English but he was struggling as the format was -teacher give out worksheets, do your own, then teacher mark and go through the answers but he couldn't even complete the whole set of worksheets as it was mainly answering the questions on his own. Not much of tutoring which I thought mavis is suppose to be a tuition centre.

I tried to teach him at night after i came back from work but most of the time are spent on revising spelling and tingxie so I can't cover much and I'm worried term 3 he will struggle...

loonshi
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ammonite » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:42 pm

How much time do you spend on revising tingxie and spelling?

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lynntan15 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Maybe you express your concern to the teacher and check whether there will be any remedial classes / reading classes in the school for your child. Some schools do have such programs.

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child