How to help a kid who has lost his baby sister?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to help a kid who has lost his baby sister?

Postby mummyjoyce » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Hi,
Someone I know has lost his kid (less than a year old) recently due to sudden illness; she passed away within a week of hosiptisation.

It is a very difficult time for his family especially his son (7 years old). Can someone recommend me any links/books on how to explain such matter to a small child ?

Thank you.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cnimed » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:12 am

Hi, maybe this link can help:

http://childparenting.about.com/cs/emot ... dgrief.htm

and this is a group based in Singapore for families who have lost a child:
http://www.cbss.sg/papers.html

Personally I don't think the explanation matters as much as how other members of the family are. Sometimes the adults want to spare the child their grief, but end up alienating the child. What is unknown is more unsettling to the child. It's better to talk about the grief, but still maintain some form of routine to daily life. Remember the dead, but show that life is still worth living.

Generally for children, when death visits, they need a sense of security and to know that other members of the family will not leave them so suddenly. Talking about death, that such deaths are uncommon, things that adults are doing to safeguard their health, reading about stories where other children come to terms with losses, these are all things to consider.

This is a difficult journey. I wish your friend's family all the best.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby mummyjoyce » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:03 pm

Many thanks for this, I will pass this information along and hope that it will help the fanily.
Happy New Year to you.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child