Telling lies became a habit

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Telling lies became a habit

Postby gumiho » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi,

My daughter had been continously telling lies. We had talked to her about the consequences of telling lies and told her numerous real life stories of liars landed up in dire straits but she just can't stop telling lies. In the end we resort to scolding and punishing her, unfortunately there are totally no improvement in her.

How would you "educate" your children if they lies chronically ?

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Telling lies became a habit

Postby spwriting » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 pm

How old is your dd? Punish may be the way to go sometimes but usually need to also examine why they lie. Are they afraid of consequences, do you find that they lie to try to get away from something?

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:00 pm

How old is she? Some kids find it hard to differentiate between wishful thinking and lies when they are young (like preschool age).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gumiho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 am

8yo. She is a daredevil, not afraid of punishment.
I don't think she tell lies to hide her "secret". I just feel telling lies has become her habit. She can even tell lies at the very simplest thing.

Eg. I saw her tickling her sister (when her sister was asleep) then I asked her why was she doing that. Then she told me she saw a red bump on her sister's stomach and she was helping her to scratch. I knew she love telling lies then I asked her," Really ? You better don't lie to me again." Then she confessed actually she was tickling her sister.

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby spwriting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:57 am

gumiho wrote:8yo. She is a daredevil, not afraid of punishment.
I don't think she tell lies to hide her "secret". I just feel telling lies has become her habit. She can even tell lies at the very simplest thing.

Eg. I saw her tickling her sister (when her sister was asleep) then I asked her why was she doing that. Then she told me she saw a red bump on her sister's stomach and she was helping her to scratch. I knew she love telling lies then I asked her," Really ? You better don't lie to me again." Then she confessed actually she was tickling her sister.

Normal 8 year old behaviour. Best time to teach her facing the truth and not lie. Just keep repeating it. You may also want to pick your battles. Sometimes even if you know. Don't ask her. So she won't have to lie. Punish when wrong and if serious. Eg. Lying in defiance to your instructions.

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child