Kids steal money

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Kids steal money

Postby gumiho » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:35 pm

How would you punish your children if they steal money from you ?

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Kids steal money

Postby spwriting » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:44 pm

How old and also First u must make sure they really stole. Not because you drop, miscounted. I will take away something that they like and will look for and keep it away. When they come asking where it is, say what if someone stole it. And then explain how stealing is wrong. The first time, I will explain it. If it keeps happening then will need to punish. But if they keep stealing, something else must be happening. Eg. Are they bullied, did they fall into bad company etc.

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:03 pm

How old is she? Does she understand about ownership of property? Is she sometimes allowed to take money from various places in the house?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spwriting » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:07 pm

agree. I think knowing the age is important. If they are really young... maybe they have not yet understood what is stealing. But if they are like teenager, that's a different thing and there may also be underlying issues

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gumiho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:29 am

Merely 8yo and took out the few hundred dollars from her hiding place which she stole from her father when we confronted her. :gloomy:

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby spwriting » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:54 am

I think just teach her. 8 year old can't be too vicious. She probably used to sharing everything in the family. Do you think she steals in school? Like suddenly got new pens, pencils and things you never seen before?

spwriting
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby gumiho » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:15 pm

spwriting wrote:I think just teach her. 8 year old can't be too vicious. She probably used to sharing everything in the family. Do you think she steals in school? Like suddenly got new pens, pencils and things you never seen before?

I don't think she steal in school.
Almost everyday she come home with new notebooks/mechanical pencil/pen...etc. and she claimed that it was gifts from her best friend but we doubt so. Maybe she bought it with the money she stole from her father.

gumiho
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:04 pm

8yo is old enough that she should understand that it's not right to take things from others. Is there some strain in the relationships at home, eg. between her and her father? Is there some other upheaval that happened recently that is maybe causing insecurity? Has she observed others buying things to make themselves feel better? Or using things to show off?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child