Pen biting

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Pen biting

Postby Sarahtan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 pm

My kids have always been "chewers" and things that go into their mouth always get chewed. Like water bottle and straws. So that at least meant to go inside mouth.

But this few days my dd (11) started biting her pens. Everytime she looks at questions and doing assessment book, her pen is in her mouth and she is biting away. She say don't know why she bite her pens but also says some of her school friends also do it too. Maybe it's stress but even when just reading her highlighter also she bite while studying.

Do any of your kids bite pens? How to make them stop? Scared now that got all kind of disease. Bite pens are so unhygenic?

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Pen biting

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Put pepper or chilli power on the portion they bite ???

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sarahtan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:18 pm

But after putting pepper, it won't stay right? It will dust away? Since it's powder? My dd unfortunately also has lots and lots of pens. Big stack of gel pens, mechanical pencils but lately she started to bite them all. :( unless put pepper into her pencil case??!!

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:21 pm

It is a habit and better to be nipped at the bud.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sarahtan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:28 pm

Yeah I know. :( That's why see her keep doing it I am thinking whether any other parents have dealt with this same problem. While waiting at her tuition centre, I have noticed her tuition centre had some foreign kids (ang moh) and they were all biting their pens. Wonder if she picked the habit from there?

In my school days, I also remember when I was in uni in Australia, got a quite a few of my foreign friends all bite their pens still. I think once start the habit, it's hard to stop.

So wonder if anyone else got any ideas. :(

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Maybe use this nail-biter's polish on her stationary?

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby Sarahtan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:20 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:Maybe use this nail-biter's polish on her stationary?

Not a bad idea actually. But guess really no other way? :(
Do any of the kids here just has that as a phase and then will automatically stop?

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sarahtan » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:02 am

Went to poly clinic. They don't sell this anymore. Anyone else have any other ideas on making kids stop biting pens?

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby superkiasudad » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:59 pm

It's just a habit. My son used to bite this stationery from age 3 to about 10 and after we went though hell and high water to make him stop (bought this bitter tasting nail polish from overseas which we painted onto his stuff and that together with liberal doses of scolding and caning). On the positive side of things, I think it's better than biting their nails or hair.

superkiasudad
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sarahtan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:29 am

Sigh.... I scold, I painted some stuff, she is still biting biting biting. Today still see her biting her mechanical pencil. (And the saliva also go inside) yuck. Don't know what to do. Scold, talk smack her hand, she still do it. And I cannot whole day watch her also.

Looking at her pens, I think she doesn't care about the bitter stuff. In school she must still be biting because more and more teeth marks appears on it.

The only thing is her results still good..Maybe because exam coming?

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child