Helping a child to concentrate

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:17

Re: Helping a child to concentrate

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:51 pm

Varying from adult to adult, but generally speaking, yes. I will take it as effective span. Beyond that, there will be reduction in productivity.

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by MrsKiasu » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Poor students who need to sit more than 2 hrs papers..I think possible too, I usually just bring in my kopi o flask wherever I go.

6thisnthat9
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by 6thisnthat9 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:51 pm

One care giver in this forum, grand aunt i think, even suggest that the child with short focus span, to look up and sip some water at intervals, before continuing the exam. For lower pri, papers are set at 1hr or so, but most kids can complete them in 30mins, according to teachers feedback at PTM.
MrsKiasu wrote:Poor students who need to sit more than 2 hrs papers..I think possible too, I usually just bring in my kopi o flask wherever I go.

Nilipek33
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Nilipek33 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Today I've read something very useful. To concentrate you should sit still on the chair, imagine an orange on your head and try not to drop it. Also when I was in college, I used to try to imagine a triangle on the teacher's face to keep my focus on the teacher. You can try it on your child.

latika
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by latika » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm

It important to ensure that they are eating right and have a conducive working environment. definitely avoid processed and junk foods, and sugary drinks as these have shown to cause hyperactivity and lack of concentration, as well as making the mind sluggish. There are some other good ideas in this article

https://blog.88tuition.com/how-to-motiv ... em-part-2/

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am

Nilipek33 wrote:Today I've read something very useful. To concentrate you should sit still on the chair, imagine an orange on your head and try not to drop it.
This is an awesome idea! Thanks for sharing!

BranT
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by BranT » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:10 am

Prepare a distraction-free environment. Some children respond well in an environment that is soothing and calming but other children may thrive in an environment that has a lot of hustle and bustle.Understanding what kind of environment your child prefers to study is the first step to increase concentration level in him/her.

Woreri
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Woreri » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Sometimes lower score can imply to some psychological issue, mostly related to lack of attention from parents. It might be that your child is looking for your attention and in this manner he or she is trying to say “I miss you”. It should also be discussed with children

alessandra66
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by alessandra66 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:04 pm

Change his diet. Get him off all junk and processed foods get him on complex carbs, fruit, veggies and good lean protein, it will take about 3 weeks to notice the difference.

Rachel572
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Rachel572 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:21 am

Do one thing at a time. We may praise the ability to multitask in our adult lives, but the research is clear: multitasking reduces concentration and diminishes our performance. In line with the concept of mindfulness, do one thing at a time in this one moment. Don’t look ahead at all the other problems, just focus on one at a time.