Boyfriend / Girlfriend

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Boyfriend / Girlfriend

Postby CJS » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:36 pm

How do you parents tell if your teenage children have a boyfriend or girlfriend ? What are the signs to look out for ?

How do you handle the issue of boyfriend or girlfriend with your child ? Suppose your child refuse to break off his / her relationship, what do you do ?

CJS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Boyfriend / Girlfriend

Postby buds hubs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:43 pm

CJS wrote:How do you parents tell if your teenage children have a boyfriend or girlfriend ? What are the signs to look out for ?

How do you handle the issue of boyfriend or girlfriend with your child ? Suppose your child refuse to break off his / her relationship, what do you do ?

I guess this issue is kinda hard to avoid huh... I also wondering how to deal with
it when both DDs are in their teens! :?

Some people say that I need to get a shotgun & hang it in my living room to
frighten away the boys.. :pray: hard it doesn't end up that way..

I think one of the signs is probably the change in attire ie: Dressing Up &
wanting to look good...

P/S; Did this when I had a crush with buds.. :wink:

buds hubs
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby kiasimom » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:42 pm

buds hubs wrote:
I guess this issue is kinda hard to avoid huh... I also wondering how to deal with
it when both DDs are in their teens! :?

Some people say that I need to get a shotgun & hang it in my living room to
frighten away the boys.. :pray: hard it doesn't end up that way..

I think one of the signs is probably the change in attire ie: Dressing Up &
wanting to look good...

P/S; Did this when I had a crush with buds.. :wink:

Are u sure it is just buds :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby daisyt » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:16 pm

The not so daring signs are
1) sudden shoot up of hp / telephone usage
2) whispering on the phone
3) always on IM with a particular person
4) sudden interest in something they not interested in before
5) new things appear, you never seen before, eg. little softoy, hp deco stuffs
6) watch out for birthday present from friends, any special kind or expensive kind

The very daring signs are
1) always say go out with friends
2) sneak out in the middle of the night
3) hangout at the bus stop or void deck

Hhhmmm ... thats all I can think of :D

As for how to break off, it depends on which method work on your kids, hard or soft and what is the most important thing is his/her life.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:24 pm

kiasimom wrote:Are u sure it is just buds :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Nottt, of course!! :P

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VitoRelax » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:37 am

CJS wrote:How do you parents tell if your teenage children have a boyfriend or girlfriend ? What are the signs to look out for ?

I suppose the tell tale sign would be they send & receive sms in one corner, they tend to be self concious about themselves, for girls maybe start wanting to be pretty & do make up ....

Honest answer from me is I also really don't know !!

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Universal problem

Postby Bear.w.me » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 am

It seems like some problems are generic.

My DD1 also started to show annoyance if the sisters and parents wanted to touch her mobile phone.

Last night, I saw a boy's message came in when the phone is right in front of me. When I queried about it, she just mentioned just normal friend but I put her in a girls only school!! Sigh...

Confiscate the mobilephone?
Bar her from mobilephone?
Control her travel time from school to home?
Nowadays any child that has not been given a mobilephone yet? (i fought a lost battle here)

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Universal problem

Postby daisyt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 am

Bear.w.me wrote:It seems like some problems are generic.

My DD1 also started to show annoyance if the sisters and parents wanted to touch her mobile phone.

Last night, I saw a boy's message came in when the phone is right in front of me. When I queried about it, she just mentioned just normal friend but I put her in a girls only school!! Sigh...

Confiscate the mobilephone?
Bar her from mobilephone?
Control her travel time from school to home?
Nowadays any child that has not been given a mobilephone yet? (i fought a lost battle here)

Hi bear.with.me, this is a common issues amoung teens now because they learn from each other, learn from seniors. I personally feel nothing to do with in a girls school or mix school.

Depends on the character of your dd and your parenting method (some parents respect privacy of their kids), you can try the following methods.

Confiscate the mobilephone? Bar her from mobilephone? - leave this to the last resort, try all kinds of methods first. Eg. talk to her, read her sms secretly when she is sleeping, demand to read her sms face to face.

Control her travel time from school to home? - try to keep track of her time table, schedule, judge her travel timing. There are many ways of spot check, eg. ezlink card, singtel/starhub has a good value added service, once a while go fetch her. I have heard of stories of parent secretly following the child and discover some surprises. You must have seen in the newspaper not long ago, parent hire PI to follow the daughter and discover the relationship the daughter has with the male tutor.

Of course, be prepared to play hide and seek later if they are aware that you are checking on them. Really ... you think over and see whats the best method for your child. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Mobilephone

Postby Bear.w.me » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks again Daisyt,

I think you have gone through these few things while bringing up your child too, uh?

Once the child step into secondary school, many things need to take care:
- which CCA? Too many too little?
- Boy friend/Girl friend (I hold the view that not advisable maybe until tertiary level)
- Pure sciences, maths
- Combined humanities
- English, Literature
- Own room/own space
- More liberal use of computer?

Fortunately there is KSP and parents like yourself (also others) around to offer life experiences. :thankyou:

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Universal problem

Postby sleepy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

daisyt wrote: There are many ways of spot check, eg. ezlink card, singtel/starhub has a good value added service, :D

how to check ezlink card?
what kind of value added service?

How about buying handphone with GPS?

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child