How to teach a stubborn and impatient child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to teach a stubborn and impatient child

Postby lchunleo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:34 am

Hi all,

Wish to get some guidance on how to coach a stubborn and impatient child. My child has been stubborn when i tried to coach him to write. i am up in hands as he can't work with me. He doesn't wish to be coach and told me only his teacher can do it..OMG...Any one in similar position? Envy of those who child can work with their parents, mine is as stubborn as a cow...

Do you all do writings in the living room (w/o TV) or in the bedroom?

thanks

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to teach a stubborn and impatient child

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:31 pm

lchunleo wrote:Hi all,

Wish to get some guidance on how to coach a stubborn and impatient child. My child has been stubborn when i tried to coach him to write. i am up in hands as he can't work with me. He doesn't wish to be coach and told me only his teacher can do it..OMG...Any one in similar position? Envy of those who child can work with their parents, mine is as stubborn as a cow...

thanks

How old is he, and does he really need to write? If he's doing enough in school, I would let him be. Choose your battles. Some schoolwork battles are more important than others. I didn't get my kids to write beyond what they did in kindy or school. Or I disguised it as fun - writing cards for grandparents, labels for their creations, stories, shopping lists, captions for their pictures etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lchunleo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
lchunleo wrote:Hi all,

thanks

How old is he, and does he really need to write? If he's doing enough in school, I would let him be. Choose your battles. Some schoolwork battles are more important than others. I didn't get my kids to write beyond what they did in kindy or school. Or I disguised it as fun - writing cards for grandparents, labels for their creations, stories, shopping lists, captions for their pictures etc.

He is 4.5 yrs old. hmm..i trying to teach him to write to improve his writing skill and to recognize new characters..he is not up to the level to do the writings for others but that is good idea. Thanks for your response

But besides the skill involved, how do you temper a child who is of stubborn and impatience nature to someone who is humble and willingly to learn new things with patience?

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jojoberry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:33 pm

this age they can't concentrate for more than 15minutes. the writing skill will come with time. You should just focus on 10 min sessions of fun games to recognise words.

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Imp75 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Related qn.do you let a child go and figure out by herself if she refuses any coaching and is a band 1 pupil at upper primary? You know the child can be further pushed to do better but refuse help and instead wants more playtime

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby jojoberry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

Imp75 wrote:Related qn.do you let a child go and figure out by herself if she refuses any coaching and is a band 1 pupil at upper primary? You know the child can be further pushed to do better but refuse help and instead wants more playtime

why not? if she's already band 1, what does better mean?
since she is already doing well without help, then why not let her enjoy her childhood? As long as she is fulfilling her responsibilities as a student and doing all her work on time.

jojoberry
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ngl2010 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:07 pm

jojoberry wrote:
Imp75 wrote:Related qn.do you let a child go and figure out by herself if she refuses any coaching and is a band 1 pupil at upper primary? You know the child can be further pushed to do better but refuse help and instead wants more playtime

since she is already doing well without help, then why not let her enjoy her childhood? As long as she is fulfilling her responsibilities as a student and doing all her work on time.

Agree. P1 is time to play, play and more play. :dancing:

Btw, maybe put her in swimming class? I think swimming is compulsory in some schools so it is better to master it for safety reason before join the swimming class in school 'cos school swimming class group is very big.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:10 pm

jojoberry wrote:

She's doing ok only, average in her class but I always believe she could be stretched but I don't want to strain the relationship too.

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:20 pm

lchunleo wrote:He is 4.5 yrs old. hmm..i trying to teach him to write to improve his writing skill and to recognize new characters..he is not up to the level to do the writings for others but that is good idea. Thanks for your response

But besides the skill involved, how do you temper a child who is of stubborn and impatience nature to someone who is humble and willingly to learn new things with patience?

Find ways that motivate him. Some kids need to know there is a purpose for some skill, and doing it 'because mummy says so' or 'so I can do well in school' are not considered good reasons! You have to work with the character of your child as you can't change it. You can curb bad behaviour and motivate good behaviour, but the underlying traits will always be there. Stubborn kids have their strengths - they are not easily influenced for the bad, and usually have high perseverence for things that matter to them. Writing as a regular piece of homework obviously doesn't come into that category for your son.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Imp75 wrote:
jojoberry wrote:

She's doing ok only, average in her class but I always believe she could be stretched but I don't want to strain the relationship too.

Find something that interests her and stretch her in that? As she grows up, her interests will probably expand. Or use her play to stretch her? Parents can only encourage but the child has to grow into maturity and want to be stretched.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child