Children Selling Things in School

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Children Selling Things in School

Postby ImMeeMee » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:24 am

Parents

Have you come across children selling things in school? Whether it's your child selling things, or other children selling things to your child?

What was your experience like and what are your thoughts? Please share. TIA.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Children Selling Things in School

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:13 am

For personal gain? Or for a cause of some kind?

I recently posed a question here about ways for students to raise funds for projects/causes. These are sec school kids, and it's quite common in my daughter's school. They have to get permission from the school first, and there are rules about what they can sell. As long as there is no compulsion for others to buy, and the items are not too expensive (for me that would be mostly under $5), I'm ok with it.

If for personal gain and without clearance from the school, then I would not like it.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sarahtan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:49 pm

My daughter "sold away" her hello kitty waterbottle to her classmate and exchanged it for a Nintendo DS game! I wasn't happy but I also did find it funny too at the same time. Barter trade!

Sarahtan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Fresco » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:59 pm

When my DS was in P4, he had a classmate who stays in JB but commuted to school from JB everyday for lessons. He would bring along stationery, toys and candies from his father's shop in Msia to sell them to his school mates. Did roaring business.

Needless to say, it was a lucrative business for this little entrepreneur given the attractive exchange rate between SGD and RM. :wink:

Fresco
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ImMeeMee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 am

I have a friend who told me that her daughter was not doing well academically in school, but she sourced for things on her own and sold to her classmates and was doing well in her little business. I saw in her an entrepreneur in-making.

Back to my story. I have been selling hand-sewn craft items in the retail setting for a short while. Not long ago I made one for my daughter and she brought to school. Her friends got interested and asked that I make some for them and they will pay accordingly when they collect from my daughter in school.

I too am not too comfortable in our current school setting to do so, but I think that's because we have been cast in a certain mindset. If given the right opportunities, for all you know this could help to nurture entrepreneurship spirit in the child. Already this daughter of mine has been giving me loads of ideas in the making and sales of my craft items, I just hate to numb her sense in this area.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:29 am

ImMeeMee wrote:I have a friend who told me that her daughter was not doing well academically in school, but she sourced for things on her own and sold to her classmates and was doing well in her little business. I saw in her an entrepreneur in-making.

Back to my story. I have been selling hand-sewn craft items in the retail setting for a short while. Not long ago I made one for my daughter and she brought to school. Her friends got interested and asked that I make some for them and they will pay accordingly when they collect from my daughter in school.

I too am not too comfortable in our current school setting to do so, but I think that's because we have been cast in a certain mindset. If given the right opportunities, for all you know this could help to nurture entrepreneurship spirit in the child. Already this daughter of mine has been giving me loads of ideas in the making and sales of my craft items, I just hate to numb her sense in this area.

Maybe you just need to do it outside school? If you or your daughter can set up a website, take orders by sms/email, collect payments and make deliveries before/after school? I think if delivery of items and collection of money is before/after school, it may be OK. I also feel that doing it in school is probably not too desirable as it might give rise to theft, temptation, envy etc. From the school's perspective, they may not want kids to be dealing with money and goods in school as if there are losses, accusations etc, it's something additional they have to deal with, and this is not for any school-related purpose. It might also be a distraction if more kids start selling items.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ImMeeMee » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:03 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Maybe you just need to do it outside school? If you or your daughter can set up a website, take orders by sms/email, collect payments and make deliveries before/after school? I think if delivery of items and collection of money is before/after school, it may be OK. I also feel that doing it in school is probably not too desirable as it might give rise to theft, temptation, envy etc. From the school's perspective, they may not want kids to be dealing with money and goods in school as if there are losses, accusations etc, it's something additional they have to deal with, and this is not for any school-related purpose. It might also be a distraction if more kids start selling items.

slmkhoo, thanks for suggestions. I too think that not all is lost, so now thinking of other ideas. Either directing them to the retail setting, or eventually creating an online platform. In that way, there will be no transaction at the school setting at all. But I do think that dealing with sales directly under proper guidance is a good way to toughen them up.

ImMeeMee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 am

I think schools need to have an avenue to let the children sell things in the school.

DS likes selling things since young. When he was in kindergarten, he tried to sell his longkang fish (the longkang fish were actively multiplying :faint: ) at our condo's clubhouse until he was chased by the security guard. :laugh:

In primary school he sold a lot of things including our household items :gloomy: . He got scolded by his teacher once but he continued selling. I pretended I didn't know that he was still selling because I think it is a good experience. I thought I should nuture his interest instead of kill it. He learnt marketing skills, persuasion skills, negotiation skills, pricing, profit sharing (yes, he even gave commission to his friends that helped him sells. I don't know where he learnt it from. :shrug: ) and handling rejection/criticism.

For the risk I would be called to see his teacher, it is worth it. Didn't PM encourage more people to be entrepreneurs?

JMHO. Please don't :duck:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am

My daughter's school (but they are A level students, so 17yo and older) had a 'mart' in school earlier this year when students were encouraged to make or find items to sell in school. Some of them were selected to set up a stall one weekend at a shopping centre. The exercise was intended to encourage entrepreneurship. Not sure if it will be more than once each year. Maybe you could approach your child's school to have something similar as part of their non-academic enrichment activities?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 am

I vaguely recalled a letter to ST forum a parent complaining about being warned by school that her son sold stuff to classmates.

If my memory did not fail me, primary schools forbid or was it because other parents lodge complaint. In any case, that parent got a warning.

No idea about Secondary schools.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child