My P1 boy will freeze when stumped by qn during tests!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

My P1 boy will freeze when stumped by qn during tests!

Postby ftwmum » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 am

Hi fellow parents,
My DS kept refusing to proceed on/skip to the next qn when he is stumped by a qn during tests. His work has been average and he is stronger at math. However, his teacher reported that he refused to budge after being stumped by a more challenging question during math test today.

Hv been talking/nagging/ scolding him abt this issue but he still continue this. Haizzzz. Under lots of stress because of this :imdrowning:
We believe he can do it just that he can't seem to cross this hurdle. He said he wants to get full marks!?!? We never expected him to get full marks lot, just do his best. Haizzz... How? :sad: :shrug: :shrug:

:thankyou: for the listening ear. :please:

ftwmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: My P1 boy will freeze when stumped by qn during tests!

Postby JJ1111 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:50 am

How about give him those "tag", ask him to paste on the question that he is stuck on and continue with other questions? When he is done, he can return back to those "tagged" questions?

I feel he may feel insecure to skip those question because he want full marks. Hence those "tag" may be able to give him "security" that he is able to return to those question when he is done with other. :p

I not sure whether this work, I just think "out of a box". :p

JJ1111
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:02 am

My daughter used to freeze at a sum...hubby told her to move on after 3 minutes if she still can't start/understand. At least can attempt all the questions and come back if time permits.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:10 am

Explain to him that freezing and refusing to continue will result even lower marks than if he skips and completes the rest first, and that staring longer at a question doesn't mean that he will be able to answer it quickly. In fact, doing another question and coming back later to the one he got stuck at may actually make it easier to solve as he can start afresh. Tagging the question in some way so he can find it easily again is a good idea.

Maybe you need to give him practice at home? You can try giving him 1 question at a time on separate cards, and remove each one after a predetermined time whether or not he has completed it. Then return the ones he didn't complete at the end, again one by one. And if he can't complete them all at the end of the time, he will have to accept that. This way, he will get used to the idea that he doesn't have unlimited time to complete everything.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ftwmum » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:56 pm

Thank you for the tips fellow KS parents :)

DS managed to pass his Maths paper - which is the paper he wasted the most time on. He did ok for English and Chinese (80%+). Funny thing is he is better at Maths compared to the latter 2.

Anw, will reinforce and "psycho" more. Hope he will mature quickly as time goes but I know things like that takes time....
Hope our family have the strength to can hang in there during these challenging times - esp w a new BB girl joining the family later this mth! :D

Trying my best everyday. Jia you everybody!

Have a great Sept Holiday everyone!~

ftwmum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sushigal » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 pm

What your boy needs is encouragement not scolding, nagging, and so on....... He just lack of confidence. Maybe there is some expectation from the parents that's why he is behaving this way.

Since he is in P1, still got time. Try to build up his language well so when he is in P5, he will not suffer a drastic drop in marks.

Many boys are better in their Math & Science and language is always the subject some parents overlook.

sushigal
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child