Caning in school for being rude to teacher?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Caning in school for being rude to teacher?

Postby janice75 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 am

Do you think it is fair for the school to administer caning on my child for being rude at the teacher? (scolding vulgarity). 2 strokes for this offence? I think it is too much

janice75
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Caning in school for being rude to teacher?

Postby Blessedwife » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:57 am

Did u check the school handbook?
What is the punishment for being rude to teacher?
Maybe can have a talk with the principal and the teacher involved to solve this amicably

Blessedwife
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby janice75 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:59 am

Blessedwife wrote:Did u check the school handbook?
What is the punishment for being rude to teacher?
Maybe can have a talk with the principal and the teacher involved to solve this amicably

I don't think it was stated. But usually a warning would be enough?

janice75
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby 12mum » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:18 am

Is it a repeated offence? If it is a repeated offence and the school has issued warnings to child and parents, the school has the right to punish the child accordingly. However schools will usually inform the parents before caning the child. If the parents are unable to control the child, someone else should step in to help.

If it is the first time, then yes, a warning should be issued and not cane the child without notifying parents first.
Last edited by 12mum on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blokus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am

Personally I think it's an acceptable form of punishment. Scolding vulgarities at a teacher is not a trivial matter and giving warning doesn't 'match' up to the severity of the matter. Just my honest opinion.

Blokus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 am

I doubt most schools would mete out caning for a first offence. I would expect that there would already have been warnings given, and the child's overall behaviour is probably also not that good?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nicnac » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:29 am

I think scolding vulgarities at teachers is really unacceptable.

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby fstyle28 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:31 am

If prior warnings had gone unheeded, then perhaps we are looking at this measure as a form of appropriate deterrent.

fstyle28
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janice75 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:05 am

12mum wrote:Is it a repeated offence? If it is a repeated offence and the school has issued warnings to child and parents, the school has the right to punish the child accordingly. However schools will usually inform the parents before caning the child. If the parents are unable to control the child, someone else should step in to help.

If it is the first time, then yes, a warning should be issued and not cane the child without notifying parents first.

According to the teacher, it is the 2nd time. School did inform me. My child received the caning today, 2 strokes. I'm just wondering whether it is too harsh for caning to be carried out for this kind of things? I mean, so many people are saying vulgarities nowadays(working life, army etc.), does that warrant a caning?

janice75
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby VJA » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:12 am

janice75 wrote:
12mum wrote:Is it a repeated offence? If it is a repeated offence and the school has issued warnings to child and parents, the school has the right to punish the child accordingly. However schools will usually inform the parents before caning the child. If the parents are unable to control the child, someone else should step in to help.

According to the teacher, it is the 2nd time. School did inform me. My child received the caning today, 2 strokes. I'm just wondering whether it is too harsh for caning to be carried out for this kind of things? I mean, so many people are saying vulgarities nowadays(working life, army etc.), does that warrant a caning?

That is not true.
in working place, you cannot say vulgarities to your peers/sub/bosses right? this would result in warning letters or sacking for repenting offences.
caning is to correct your child behaviour before he/she is out to the society and the consequence can be more serious.
instead of thinking if is too harsh, u might want to think of how to change/correct your child behaviour together with the school.

VJA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child