The Birds and the Bees

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

The Birds and the Bees

Postby BlueBells » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Parents,

Have you had a chance to discuss this topic with your children? If so, how did you bring it up? If not, how do you plan to bring it up for discussion? At what age do you think would be more appropriate for such a discussion?

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: The Birds and the Bees

Postby gajidouma » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:09 pm

BlueBells wrote:Hi Parents,

Have you had a chance to discuss this topic with your children? If so, how did you bring it up? If not, how do you plan to bring it up for discussion? At what age do you think would be more appropriate for such a discussion?

Just my question too.... In fact, I am having hard time now.

my 3-going-on-4 yr old dd one day asked me "mummy, where does baby come from?"
I said, "from mummie's belly."
she asked again:"where were I when you were just a kid of my age?"
I stumbled, "ehm... at that time, you were not born yet...not formed...not in my belly yet.." (errr...)
she didn't give up, "then where were I?"
In the end, I was at my wit's end so I told her the whole thing is just like the fact that only hens can have babies, i.e. lay eggs, chicken do not lay egg. She seemed to be happy with this answer for quite a while.

But just a few days ago, all of sudden, she brought up the topic again... she said to me."mummy, when you are getting old, will you become grandma?" I said yes. she then said "when I grow up, will I be a mummy like you?" and I said yes. then she said,"mummy, can you give me a brother so then he can be the DADDY?" I was really really :shock: so I said NO and she was so upset about my answer and almost cried her heart out (oh forgot to mention that in the past she mentioned she wanted to get married with daddy/mummy/grandpa when she grows up...we just laughed it off).... In the end I have to distract her with candies from this topic.

I really don't know how to handle these questions... could someone please help me out? do you think it is ok for me to sit down with her and explain the "scientific facts" of birds and bees (she is not even 4.. is she able to understand?) ? Someone please share some experience or tip on this coz I am sure soon she will come back with the same questions again.

gajidouma
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: The Birds and the Bees

Postby jedamum » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:55 pm

When i was pregnant 2 yrs back, my then 4 yr old asked me,

Q1 : Where will the baby come out from?
Q2 : How did the baby get in? Did you swallow it?

After some mumbo jumbo and dunno how i got through his questions, he somehow is satisfied with my explanation.

Then last K2 teachers feedback session (in May), his form teacher told me that my boy asked her about Q1. :shock:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby barney » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:21 pm

she mentioned she wanted to get married with daddy/mummy/grandpa when she grows up

Same for my 6 year old girl, think it happened when she was 3 years old, she asked where were I staying before and why I did not stay with my parents so I told her when you grow up and get married, you'll have to stay with your husband....then she suddenly tell me she wants to marry daddy when she grows up so that we can stay together forever. :oops:

Don't know is it good or bad but till now, she has not touched on the question on how babies come about.. :roll:

barney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby EN » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi

I got the same question too from my boy. Only difference is that we are looking through anatomy book meant for kids which shows our internal organ. I think the teacher must have taught him something because when I told him, he used to be in mummy's tummy, he corrected me that he comes from my womb & out from the private part.

How baby is form, I reply a man & a woman must get married first. He continued with his story of bees & flowers & describe the process of pollination. Told me he was taught in school. So.... I hope for now his curiosity has been answered & it will be quite a few years later that this question pops up again.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:11 pm

EN wrote:How baby is form, I reply a man & a woman must get married first.

I did ponder about whether to tell this to my boy, cos although the values are there, it may be misleading. :oops:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Jeda

It is misleading but he happily told me about the flower & the bees story so I dont see the need to continue.

About a few months back, I went to Borders & I thought I saw Flower & Bees book. But I did not pick it up to glance through it. So not sure if the book is good to buy.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby breguet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:36 pm

When I told my son I'd tell him when he was older, he said "Oh please, tell me when I'm still young!" :shock: We used the encyclopedia which had very good illustrations, and I said it in the most clinical way possible. Didn't ask for more explanations after that, thank goodness!

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Atan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:09 am

My son, 6, had asked where did he come fm and I explained that it was fm the womb and explain how he grew n was inside mummy for abt 9 mths. He was happy w the answer.
Today, he told me that his classmate, Crystal, wants to marry him but his classmate, Wei fen wants to warry his mummy. He asked him whether he would like to marry his mummy? His answer was : When I grow up, you would be too old, hee hee . :roll:

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby BlueBells » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:59 am

When my younger girl was 4 +, she asked me how come her elder sis was born first and not her? I went, "er ... because you played scissors, paper, stone, and you lost so jie jie came out first." :lol:

Hahaha .. not the best answer but she believed it.

Anyway, the kids knew that daddy put them in mummy's stomach, and that was about it. They haven't probe any further for now, but I have a book on the birds and the bees handy, designed for children with graphical explanation, except that I haven't the chance to show it to the kids.

When one of them pops the question again, I will bring out the book and go through the facts with a straight mind, with daddy in tow. I would like to be able to discuss it as though it is a general topic and it's nothing to be shy about. Easier said than done ??

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child