Do your kids still sleep on your bed?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

At what age should kids stop sleeping on the same bed as parents?

1-2 years old
16%
3-4 years old
20%
5-6 years old
21%
7-8 years old
10%
After 9 years old
8%
As and when the children decide
25%

Total votes: 209

Laughing
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Laughing » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 pm

while our children are still young, we should let them sleep on their own. if we try to change that when they are older, it will be very difficult as it become a habit. Having saying all these, my kids still sleep on my bed when they have nightmare or during school holiday. Aiya just can't bear to chase them at such a young age... :kiss:

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by blueblue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:53 am

My 4 years old son has been sleeping on my bed since young. However since we shifted hse last week, he wanted to sleep in his own room.

I have been trying to persuade him to continue to sleep on my bed but he refuses to budge!

:cry:

I would love to have him to continue sleeping with me. After all, the time will come when our children wil want to sleep on their own. I just wish it won't happen so fast! :cry:

Tamama
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Tamama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:38 am

blueblue wrote:My 4 years old son has been sleeping on my bed since young. However since we shifted hse last week, he wanted to sleep in his own room.

I have been trying to persuade him to continue to sleep on my bed but he refuses to budge!

:cry:

I would love to have him to continue sleeping with me. After all, the time will come when our children wil want to sleep on their own. I just wish it won't happen so fast! :cry:
you are lucky when your boy asked to sleep alone at the age of 4. i know about a friend's boy still wants to sleep with parents at the age of 10. his parent don't have a clue as their boy would yell aloud like mad and they could not bear it so everything could not be changed. :| sigh...

flyfree
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

When is the time to let child sleep in separate room ?

Post by flyfree » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Dear parents, when is the time you let your child sleep in separate room? can a three yr old child sleep alone well / safely at night?

Currently, child sleep together in same bed. didn't hv the luxury to enjoy "precious moments" with hubby.......

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Re: When is the time to let child sleep in separate room ?

Post by atrecord » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 am

For us, we started DD on a mattress besides our bed when she outgrew the cot.

Then, when she was 19 mth old and DS came along, DW slept with DS for some mths as she needed to breastfeed him. So there was extra space on our bed, and we let DD sleep on the bed with me. Within a year, we move them to sleep in the same room - one on sofa bed, the other on the floor. Then when DS was 2-3 yr old, we moved the mattress over to another room, and let them sleep in their own room...

davidchatman
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by davidchatman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Don't make him in a separate room. The baby is just three years old, baby needs your attention even in the sleep at this age. The baby get some kind of phobia if you do so. sleep together at least 4 more years.

bao
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by bao » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 pm

I started to let my son sleep independently at the age of 6. Before that, my hubby was sleeping with him. Me and my hubby has been sleeping separately for the last 6 years hahaha....

My girl started sleeping alone when she turn 6 as well. I decorated her room with Disney princess theme and pasted a full wall mural of 5 princess outing. She loves it and like to be in her room. But starting she was afraid of sleeping alone, and refuse to off the light and door remain open. But hard to fall asleep because in secured. Later I bought her a cute small table lamp so that we could switch off her room light. Now she has get used to it.

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by MadScientist » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:59 pm

We never let them invade our bed... Only on occasions.
Show limits, they will know limits.

As for sleeping on their own... My bro starts them from birth... We do it when they are ready... All you need is the eldest to do so, the rest are likely to follow.

Encourage when they are adventurous...

daddy2007
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by daddy2007 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:02 pm

Mine daughter slept in her room since birth. Don't want her to have this habit to sleep with us together as she grows older.

We leave the doors open and thus when she cry at night, we will just wake up and go over to take a look

MrBig
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Do your kids still sleep on your bed?

Post by MrBig » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 am

lol~!
My DD who is only 2 yrs old has effectively kicked me out of bed with my wife. hahaha
But the fun side is before her bedtime, she will always wanna sleep on daddy's bed ... which is the mattress on the floor.
So cute .... it's like she just wants to be where I am ...