How to keep a child occupied before going to school??

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to keep a child occupied before going to school??

Postby UmmuMuadz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Hi,

DS1 has just started P1 this year. He is in the afternoon session. In the morning, he is at home with MIL since I'm a FTWM. I will sit with him and go through his homework in the evening after dinner.

I'm thinking of ideas on how to make him occupied in the morning. Any ideas or experience??? :?

On one hand, I do not want to stress him with too many worksheets in the morning :( but there is this fear that he will just end up watching TV the whole morning. :x

Is it good to have a timetable for him to follow daily??? If yes, what activities should I include in the timetable?

Thanks in advance

UmmuMuadz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Andaiz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:49 pm

UmmuMuadz, love your avatar.

Mine in P2, still in pm session - enough worksheets/going through work.

I've also gotten some puzzles (e.g., wordsearch etc) that make learning fun. Sometimes they'd still want to be little kids, so I try and get those that have lots to colour and fill out space. Else, can get him to draw! :wink:

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby UmmuMuadz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi Andaiz,

Thanks for sharing :D

I just remembered that we bought an activity book that has a mixture of of puzzles, mazes and "spot the difference" game.. will get him started on that tomorrow... :idea:

UmmuMuadz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I have the same problem too.

DD was so bored that she kept coming to me to ask me what to do. That was the 1st day when I took leave to see her off to school.

So went out to buy some assessments to keep her occupied. She has all the puzzle books as well, like spot the diff, word search, basic sudoku, etc But she keeps saying she needs more.

She has piano in the morning once a week. Now contemplating if I should do 2x a week just to keep her mornings occupied. But guess have to see what her school schedule is like first

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:33 pm

ameryeducation wrote:It would be good to have a time-table and have your child stick to it.

Here are some ideas to fill the schedule:
1. Read a book together (these are some of the memorable times in childhood)
2. Activities (as mentioned, painting, puzzles, colouring etc, which also trains your child in handling pencils and other writing implements. You may even let them help out with making cookies! Lego bricks are great as well.)
3. Television (educational or children shows will be good, once in a whilst)
4. Outdoor fun (take your child to the park or playground)

Hope this helps!

These are great but unfortunately not quite possible for FTWM. Plan to sit down with DD to plan her morning timetable this weekend. She gets to decide what she wants to do for each 30min period. And we will tweak the timetable as we go along. Then at least my helper will also have a guide to follow.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby BlurBee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi, my DD1 also in afternoon session P1. I hv not come out with a timetable yet but did tell her what to do in the morning.

- revise whatever materials that was taught in the school the day before.
- practice piano (~5-10mins) as she juz started for 2 mths.
- to complete certain section in the assessment books that I have bought for her (as a weekly basis).
- the rest of the time is her play/tv time with her little brother. :wink:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Vevey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:51 am

I get DS who is in P1 to help me fold clothes or dust the house. :wink:

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Return to Working With Your Child