Heart of Gold

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Heart of Gold

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

This is a true story of a family I know.

It was the start of a new journey in Primary One for Goldie like any other children. Much excitement and anxiety was running through her tiny body as she went through each day of her new adventure in the Primary School. Everything was pleasant although overwhelming until one day a reality hit her.

While changing into her PE attire, she removed her new wallet off and placed it gently on her desk. Then she was distracted by a friend calling her and walked away for a while in a trusting fashion leaving her new wallet behind. Minutes later, she let out a cry of dismay that her wallet was gone.

After some investigation by the teacher, they found the thief in the class. Not only was the wallet retrieved, many other items belonging to other children were also found. Astonishing? Truly so. It was a serious matter hence the parents of the child, Richie, was called to the school.

Richie stole out of a habit and after being reprimanded for his behaviour, he made a good attempt to reform. Meanwhile he was also not performing well in his schoolwork and needed alot of help.

The year ended and Goldie was outstanding in her work, emerging the top child in class. Upon returning to the school the following year, Goldie was nominated as one of the leaders to form a team for an assignment.

While choosing her team members, she was carefully selecting the children and the first two children picked by her were ecstatic. However, when she finally chose Richie as the last member to join in the team, the team shunned her decision and kept chiding her for her choice..

"Why did you choose him?"
"He is not good in his work"
"Eee..He is so smelly too."

Goldie composed herself and replied assertively, "Hey, you should be kinder to him." The teacher was wide-eyed with astonishment with this tiny person. Goldie felt a little uneasy with her team-mates' comments and became a little doubtful of her actions so she went to consult her teacher. Her teacher looked earnestly into her eyes and praised her for her graciousness. That sealed the unspoken joy in Goldie's heart, at least an adult had endorsed her actions to be right.

When Goldie shared this with her mum, her mum was so filled with mixed feelings. There were many questions her mum had for her.

Mum: "Do you remember he stole from you before?"
Goldie: "Yes I do"
Mum: "Then why are you risking it as you would be interacting more?"
Goldie: "Not to worry Mum, I am very organised with my things and hard to steal from me now" *wink in the eye*
Mum: "Oh?" "Then does he really stink?"
Goldie: (gave a funny look and smiled)..."Yes I could smell from a distance"
Mum: "Then why did you still do it since your friends also did not like it?"
Goldie: I felt that we should be kinder to him. Actually Mummy, why does he stink?
Mum: ?????????? How would I know? (Both laughed)
Mum: Actually, tell me, why do you like Richie enough to choose him
Goldie: I saw improvement in Richie. His handwriting was very bad at the beginning of last year but by end of the year, it was very good.
Mum: Hmmmm.....

Mum felt really warm in the heart to see this little one maturing in thoughts. Not only she could manage her own work independently, she even noticed the efforts others were making in their work. In her tiny mind, Goldie thought that people who made mistakes deserve to be given a second chance if they try.

It was a good lesson that teacher and Mum were learning from Goldie, a Heart of Gold.

***************** The End************************************

I share this story because as adults, we always think we are the one teaching....but if we look hard enough, children can in fact teach us alot more... :D
Last edited by Guest on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

It really is heart of gold

Postby Bear.w.me » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks for the inspiring story ks2me.

If i would have received it from the internet it will not leave such a deep impact but this one is right out from your family friend. Wow.

Most of our students will only choose their buddies for school projects. In order to be so 宽宏大量 is indeed very commendable especially at such a tender age. Must be good nurturing effort from the parents (or genes ?)

I am certain that Goldie will grow up well and seccessful too. The parents should be 100% proud of her.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 am

Thank you Bear.w.me. :D

I believe Goldie surprised her parents very much too because Goldie seemed to form her own ideas through a collection of things she had learned. And yes they are proud of her action, so unexpected of her age.

Actually upon further chat with Goldie...kiasu adults as usual would ask, "Are you not worried Richie will affect the outcome of the project?"

She said, "It's ok because the other 3 persons are quite good in their work." So she is permitting a project rider to learn on the project.

Postby BlurBee » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

:goodpost: buddy.
Yes, this is indeed something we shd learn from the kid.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

BlurBee wrote::goodpost: buddy.
Yes, this is indeed something we shd learn from the kid.

Thank you BlurBee.
Yeah we cannot always look up, sometimes gotta look down....there might just be something we are missing below us that is priceless!! :celebrate:

Postby kiasimom » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:44 pm

I guess children are by far so much
more innocent in their thinkings as compared
to adults.
in their world, everything is just so simple.
There's no discrimination.
Of course upbringing does play a vital
part. Your friend did a good job in bringing
Goldie up.

As the saying goes:" simplicity is best."

We adults somtimes make things too complex.

kiasimom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah you are right kiasimom, we adults wear "shades" to look at things but to the children, rainbow colours is a more interesting world. Even though both are colour-related but in a paradoxical way. :wink:

Simplicity is Best! :celebrate:

Postby Blobbi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 pm

kiasimom wrote:I guess children are by far so much
more innocent in their thinkings as compared
to adults.
in their world, everything is just so simple.
There's no discrimination.
Of course upbringing does play a vital
part. Your friend did a good job in bringing
Goldie up.

As the saying goes:" simplicity is best."

We adults somtimes make things too complex.

:goodpost:

So true.

Blobbi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby buds » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm

A child knows no malice. :hugs:

Thanks for sharing!

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:01 am

buds wrote:A child knows no malice. :hugs:

Thanks for sharing!

True but I would add, SOME children know no malice but MOST children (like the friends in the story, and it is the majority unfortunately) who would ostracise people who are different in a negative way. I suppose it is natural hence parents have a part to play to coach?

You are :welcome:

Next

Return to Working With Your Child