Maths Model Book for parents

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Maths Model Book for parents

Postby xueyan » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 am

Hi mummies

I am interested to teach Maths to my boy who is in next year P1. However I do not know about Maths Model at all. Can anyone be kind enough to recommend a Maths Model book for parents so that we can impart the knowledge to the kid.

Thanks!

xueyan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Maths Model Book for parents

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:06 am

Hi xue yan
I used these 2 books to learn maths model myself.
These assessment books can be found in popular.
Must know maths model method for primary one (orange book)
Problem solving beyond the classroom for primary one.
Hope it helps.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nerov » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:13 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Hi xue yan
I used these 2 books to learn maths model myself.
These assessment books can be found in popular.
Must know maths model method for primary one (orange book)
Problem solving beyond the classroom for primary one.
Hope it helps.

Hi FantasyLandDreams, would you be able to share a picture of the books' front cover? Thanks!

nerov
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby patntee » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:29 pm

Try the ipad apps from here. FOC. Good enough for a start.

http://www.mathplayground.com/thinkingblocks.html

patntee
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby buds » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:27 pm

xueyan wrote:Hi mummies

I am interested to teach Maths to my boy who is in next year P1. However I do not know about Maths Model at all. Can anyone be kind enough to recommend a Maths Model book for parents so that we can impart the knowledge to the kid.

Thanks!

You may consider this book, xueyan.. hope this helps.

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mceducation1 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks!

Hi xueyan,

Perhaps the Teaching to Mastery series can help you :)

This series covers the 4 most challenging topics -- Bar modeling, Decimals, Fractions and Whole numbers. The content in this series is backed by research and aims to help educators (both parents and teachers) develop children's understanding in the different Mathematics.

Do let us know if this series is suitable for you :)

mceducation1
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KsqMathelogy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks!

The 2 main models to take note in P1 would be part-whole model and comparison model.

Eg of part-whole model

1) Tom has 4 marbles. His friends give him 3 more marbles. How many marbles does he have now?

Draw a longer bar for 4, then add in a shorter bar for 3 beside the first bar. Label the whole model as '?' and solve it using addition.

2) Tom has 9 marbles. He loses 3 of them. How many marbles does he have now?

Draw the whole bar for 9. Cut the bar for 3 as he lost 3 marbles. Label the remaining part of the model as '?' which is the left over. Solve it using subtraction.

Eg of comparison model

1) Tom has 3 marbles. John has 2 more marbles than Tom. How many marbles does John have?

This is also known as the double-decker bus model. First, identify whose model must be longer by asking the child to point the word 'more' to the correct person. In this case, John is the one who has more so his bar is longer while Tom's bar would be shorter. The extra part jutting out would be for the '2 more'. Label the longer bar as '?' as the question is looking for John's marbles. Solve it by addition.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: Do not tell a child that 'more' means add while 'less' means minus. The meaning for more is simply 'a lot' while the meaning of less is simply 'very little'. The next example will better illustrate why we cannot give the wrong meanings for those words.

2) Tom has 5 marbles. He has 2 more marbles than John. How many marbles does John have?

In this scenario, we must let the child have a good habit of identifying that the word 'He' is actually referring to Tom and so the question should be interpreted as "Tom has 2 more marbles than John". Based on the first case, the child needs to point the word 'more' to Tom now and draw a longer bar for Tom while John has a shorter bar. The extra part of the model will be '2 more'. Label a '?' for the shorter bar and solve it using subtraction.

If we tell a child that 'more' means add, he will solve this question without reading for understanding and solve it using addition.

This is a very common mistake that most children make as they have been possessing the wrong idea of the words, 'more' and 'less'.

There will be more types of questions being asked in P2 but they all stem from these two models (part-whole and comparison models) so the fundamentals of model filling and/or drawing is important.

KsqMathelogy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing. Any tips for guess and check method? Thanks.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby KsqMathelogy » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:25 pm

I start teaching guess-and-check to pupils right from P1. Guess-and-check at this stage usually will be about animals and legs, vehicles and wheels. Of course there are other variations of guess-and-check but for a start, it will be about something relevant to them and simple to understand.

Usually children will just take the number of animals to add with the number of legs. This is because they do not see that animals and legs cannot be added together and that they don't really understand what the question is asking for.

Firstly, we need to make them understand the question by acting it out (drawing or showing using toy models). By doing this, we are making the child know that legs and animals cannot be added.

Next, once they understand the relationship between 1 animal and the number of legs, it's time to start guessing. When they guess the number, you will have to teach them estimation and not just guessing blindly. Using a table to organise the guesses, will make a child be more structured in getting the answers.

After guess-and-check, a child will proceed to learn assumption at the upper level. This heuristics is one important concept to learn.

With more practice, exposure and guidance, a child should be able to master guess-and-check.

KsqMathelogy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child