How to help yr child settle in at new school?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to help yr child settle in at new school?

Postby Hiaweh » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:13 pm

My dd will be transferred to a new primary school next year. As she is a little timid,I am thinking of ways to help her settle in the new school. Eg. familiarise with the school surroundings, new classmates/schoolmates etc.

Any kind advise is much appreciated.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to help yr child settle in at new school?

Postby magicpiglet » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:07 pm

Does the sch allow visitors? Have u bought her text etc? Bring her along for visits or to buy books to familiarize , join the sch's Psg , get to know other parents frm her sch or class, can go on play dates when u familiarize with the parents n children, talk to her daily abt sch n Oso talk to her teacher to tell her ur concern as well as to find out how she's coping the sch, her teacher will help her too

magicpiglet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:51 am

I guess your child is quite young? Besides what has been suggested above, perhaps you can ask to speak to or email the form teacher before school starts and request that the teacher appoint a buddy for your daughter for the first week or so. The buddy's 'duties' would be to show her around, tell her about school rules and customs etc, and hopefully become a friend. It would be better to contact the form teacher in advance rather than on the first day of school as teachers are very busy once school starts.

If your child is shy, teach her a few opening lines for starting conversations so she can make friends more quickly. Also tell her to observe what others do and learn how the new school 'works' as not all schools do things the same way. If she is the type who may seem anti-social because she's shy, coach her to look more interested and welcoming, and not hide in corners, so that others will be more likely to approach her.

My kids changed schools (and countries/cities) several times because we moved around a lot, and I've been through this a few times.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Hiaweh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:11 pm

The good thing is that at P3 there will be a reshuffle so I would think that most students may be new to each other. Writing to the form teacher is a good idea. Would do that once we get the class allocation.

I will be bringing her along when we buy uniform and textbooks. Will walk around with her if its permitted. Thanks for yr advise/suggestions.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby joeyphay » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:52 pm

My daughter had a similar experience. From CHIJ OLQP, she transferred to SCGS. At first,she had difficulty making new friends but after some time, she was okay. All the best!!!

joeyphay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Working With Your Child