Kids' ambitions

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Kids' ambitions

Postby EN » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:24 pm

It does not matter how well my kids result are. What matter most is the effort that they have put in to accomplish the task.

The pressure really stems from parents who try to out do each other and comparing how well their children are in school. Education is a long journey. Top in primary school does not equate to a successful and happy life in the future.

Of course having said these, I nearly faint when my daughter told me (she was in P1 then) that she would like to work in a boutique, to be fashion advisor. She likes to draw different types of clothing & not bad in her fashion sense. So, I told her, she will have my blessing but she still must at least have basic education to carry her through.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:14 pm

EN wrote: I nearly faint when my daughter told me (she was in P1 then) that she would like to work in a boutique, to be fashion advisor. She likes to draw different types of clothing & not bad in her fashion sense. .

my younger girl wants to be a super star!
She said she can allow me to attend her concert for free.
However, free tickets are only resticted to immediate family members because she need to sell the rest to earn a living :lol:
I told her I look forward to an autograph. haha!

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:22 pm

sleepy wrote:
EN wrote: I nearly faint when my daughter told me (she was in P1 then) that she would like to work in a boutique, to be fashion advisor. She likes to draw different types of clothing & not bad in her fashion sense. .

However, free tickets are only resticted to immediate family members because she need to sell the rest to earn a living :lol:

:lol:
perhaps we can start a thread on kid's ambition...heehee
my boy used to tell me that he wants to open a pizza shop. so that he can make free pizza for everyone before i reminded him that he need $$ to buy ingredients and run the place.
now whenever i asked him again, he just said he don't know yet. :)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby EN » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:32 pm

When my daughter says she wants to be fashion advisor, I was totally crushed & feel terribly guilty. Reason is that, whenever I go shopping, she tags along. Ever since her declaration, the only shopping trip she has is yearly for her own clothing and never mine.

I read in newspaper that a pilot earns quite a big sum yearly. Told this to my then 5 year old boy. 2 years on, he still sing the same tune, he wants to be a pilot. The only problem is that every time he is up in the air travelling, he just tense up. So much for his ambition.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mumwgals » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:00 am

sleepy wrote:

Hey sleepy, I oso want to have an autograph from your daughter! Then I would frame it up and when she becomes a super star, i can sell it to add to my retirement fund. :D

mumwgals
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ngchris » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:12 pm

On the way to school today my 5-year old boy asked me,"mom, why aren't you a policewoman?" (No I dont want to).

He then asked, "what did you want to be when you were growing up?"

I replied without thinking "maybe a doctor or lawyer."

An innocent response goes "then what happen to you now?" (obviously I am neither a doc nor a lawyer).

To all parents out there
1. Cherish your kid(s) childhood dreams - - be it to be a train owner or composer - it's kindda sad when parents can't remember theirs.

2. Do not impose on your kids YOUR ambitions (which you yourelf maynot have been able to fulfil yourself) - it's THEIRS that count ...

Cheers

ngchris
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby EN » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:00 am

Side track a bit, when I was in my primary school age I like to play with the bus ticket (the one that bus conductor hands out), an exercise book & a pen. I was busy fantasizing that I will be working in an office dealing with money & papers. In my teens, my ambition back then I wanted to be a flight stewardess. At last, I'm a tad too short & school result shows must continue studying. I now end up in an office, busy looking at figures. My parents still remember my 1st ambition.

My son likes to dabble in science projects but hope to be a pilot. It will be interesting to see which path he will be eventually.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Luanee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:15 pm

My girl wants to be a baker and I dont really mind as long as she can make a living out of it! Her 2nd choice is to be a ballet teacher but she would prefer the first choice because she wants people to be happy after eating her cakes! And according to her, a ballet teacher would need to shout at the children which she doesnt like :P

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MMM » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:33 pm

At 4 yr old, we asked our son what he wants to be when he grows up? He said he wants to remain as a child. We thot what a brillant idea to remain a child for life : ) Now, he is sticking to stuff like fireman,etc...

My P1 girl's ambition started from being a nurse. We were like why can't you be a doctor instead? : ) The list continues to grow like a scientist, a chinese teacher,etc...

I wanted to be a teacher when I was young as I like carrying lots of exercise books : ) When I was in sec school and enjoyed baking, I was like I should open my own bakery one day. I didn't become any of those in the end. Haha the thot of having to spend whole day in the kitchen baking, smelling like butter and putting in long hours is not that enticing after all.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jedamum » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:39 pm

MMM wrote:Now, he is sticking to stuff like fireman,etc...

Has he gone for the tour? 8)

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child