What story book is suitable for k2

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

What story book is suitable for k2

Postby Katetay » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Can mummies recommend me some story books for k2 girl.i don't know what type of story book to buy for my gal except robin Nd ladybird book.that all I know,pls advise thank u

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: What story book is suitable for k2

Postby Kate1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:18 am

The Robin and Ladybird books are very good. For other books, it depends on her age and reading level. Here are some books I've seen many children enjoy.

There are a lot of books by Ruth Heller which are very good (and very educational). They are short and have lots of bright pictures, and cover basic biology. For example, Chickens Aren't The Only Ones is about animals other than chickens that lay eggs (birds, lizards, dinosaurs, fish, frogs, platypus, octopuses, snails, etc.). The pictures are all scientifically accurate.

A book that's fun for girls is The Paper Bag Princess by Robert Munsch. It's about a princess whose castle is attacked by a dragon, and all her clothes are burnt so she has to wear a paper bag. She defeats the dragon using cleverness. It's nice and easy to read for children aged about 5-6.

Enid Blyton is probably the best bet for an author for children aged 6+. The reading is relatively easy (she uses a fairly small, repetitive vocabulary), but these are proper novels, not easy picture books. It's probably best to start with the books which are collections of short stories, as a whole big book can be overwhelming for a younger child. The good thing about Enid Blyton is that she wrote over 700 books, so you'll never run out.

Roald Dahl has a lot of good books for children. Most are for 7 years and older, but an advanced younger reader could enjoy them. Some are quite long; the shorter ones (The Minpins, The Enormous Crocodile, The Twits, etc.) are probably better for younger children. His writing is a bit harder than Enid Blyton's--he uses a bigger vocabulary and often includes nonsense words that can only be read by a child who knows some phonics.

There are a lot of other good books, but it really depends on your daughter, how good her reading is, and what her interests are. It's a good idea to take her to a bookshop and just let her look at the books on her own without any input or pressure from you, and make a mental note of what sorts of books she seems most interested in (e.g. does she mostly pick up books about superheroes? books about animals? etc.). If she gets books she's interested in, she'll enjoy them and want to read more (her reading will also improve). If she only is given books she dislikes, she won't read them much unless forced to, and she will develop a bad attitude towards reading. So, especially at this young age, let her read fun books that she likes!

Kate1
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:53 pm

There are quite a few series of short chapter books for this age group (roughly 6-8 yrs old). You can try: Magic Tree House, Magic School Bus, A-Z Mysteries, Boxcar Children etc. There are lots more but these were my kids' favourites.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Katetay » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:19 am

Thanks mummy..

Katetay
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dethotsshop » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:24 pm

Books by Julia Donaldson and usborne books