Kid travel on public transport!

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Kid travel on public transport!

Postby hoo1688 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:36 am

I had sent DD to the MRT station and let her go back by herself after her holiday class! Mummy waited for her outside the MRT, no problem for DD but my relatives felt that it is too risky for a small kid (P1)!

What are your views?

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Kid travel on public transport!

Postby hersheys » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:55 am

hmmmm depends on how comfortable u and your dd feels.. each child is different..some are more mature while others take longer time.....

hersheys
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby alng » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:04 am

As a mother, I have two immediate responses when I read your post:

1. Wow so young, P1 only.
2. Hmmm, good to train the child to be independent.

You know best if this arrangement is ok. And you really do not need others to endorse your actions. :-)

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 pm

You know your child best. If she is very familiar with the route, is a sensible child, and you believe that it is safe, then I think it's fine. If you haven't already done so, you may want to brief her about what to do if anything unexpected happens - to call you or other reliable adults (does she carry a phone?), to find a station staff member, etc. And of course the usual warnings about strangers offering food, lifts, sob stories etc.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ChiefKiasu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:30 pm

While each child is different in maturity, my feeling is P1 is generally considered to be a little too young to be traveling by themselves. Also, I suspect girls are often more targeted by the undesirables than boys. The minimum age I'd be comfortable to let my daughter travel by herself is P3.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby zbear » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:13 am

I feel the same as Chiefkaisu. P1 girl is a bit too young to take public transport alone especially if she is petite in size.

I will worry.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:27 pm

DD only started taking public transport on her own in P4/5. I would be worrying constantly if started her at P1.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hoo1688 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:57 am

I have been taking public transport (MRT or Bus) to my workplace from the past years, seen some of the lower primary school students (few) taking public transport to school themselves! From the kid’s school uniform (various) knew that the kids need to take 30 minutes to an hour to travel form home to school!

Wanted to ask the kids about my doubts : (when do you started to take public transport to school yourself?) but I am a stranger .…………………

hoo1688
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lynntan15 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:28 am

At P1, for girl, I also feel that it is too young.

They might be mature enough to know how to get from point A to point B. But in case of unexpected scenerio... "breakdown of bus..." or others, they do not have the maturity to react to scenerio.

I would be more comfortable at P5 level.

lynntan15
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby laughingcat » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:37 pm

If I have a daughter, it will be a no no. Too precious :snuggles: I am sure daddy wouldn't allow also.

laughingcat
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child