IMPROVEMENT IN WRITING ENGLISH COMPOSITION

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

IMPROVEMENT IN WRITING ENGLISH COMPOSITION

Postby the queen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

Hello dear all mummies.. I would like to seek advice from you. My Ds1 currently in P3, is very weak in his English writing composition, I am clueless on how to correct him in his writing composition.

Any tips for me on how to guide him in his writing composition or is there any centre for learning on writing composition in Sengkang area ?

the queen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: IMPROVEMENT IN WRITING ENGLISH COMPOSITION

Postby D3@n » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 am

To write an excellent composition, one must first have a strong command of grammar and a wide range of vocabulary.

Afterwhich, what is crucial are the power of linguistic expression and the clear organization of story telling. Basically, the structure stands at

Introduction

Body

Conclusion

Most students tend to have very short introduction and conclusion; and will dive straight into the story with little elaboration. The story telling is limited to merely listing the sequence of events and not focusing on any interactions, display of emotions or experiences. We have to show rather than just simply tell.

With the linguistic tools, it's down to practice, practice and more practice. As a young writer, your son will have to learn composing through imitating (not copying) established writers and then slowly devloping his unique style. He needs to write more and have you or someone qualified to read his works to harness his strengths and improve his weaknesses.

Interesting and original content is the other key aspect for any successful composition. Your son has to be trained to be more observant and imaginative in life. This will provide him the wealth of material to select from for any topics.

This is just a rough guide I'm offering here. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need more clarification or information.

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby the queen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:54 am

D3@n wrote:To write an excellent composition, one must first have a strong command of grammar and a wide range of vocabulary.

Afterwhich, what is crucial are the power of linguistic expression and the clear organization of story telling. Basically, the structure stands at

Introduction

Body

Conclusion

Most students tend to have very short introduction and conclusion; and will dive straight into the story with little elaboration. The story telling is limited to merely listing the sequence of events and not focusing on any interactions, display of emotions or experiences. We have to show rather than just simply tell.

With the linguistic tools, it's down to practice, practice and more practice. As a young writer, your son will have to learn composing through imitating (not copying) established writers and then slowly devloping his unique style. He needs to write more and have you or someone qualified to read his works to harness his strengths and improve his weaknesses.

Interesting and original content is the other key aspect for any successful composition. Your son has to be trained to be more observant and imaginative in life. This will provide him the wealth of material to select from for any topics.

This is just a rough guide I'm offering here. Hope it helps. Let me know if you need more clarification or information.

Thank you for your kind help ! what are the recommended assessment book for improving ? Maybe I should ask my DS1 to read more on newspaper? kekeke

the queen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby D3@n » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:12 am

Creative Writing is one I'd recommend.
As for reading newspaper, that is an excellent habit to adopt from young.
He doesn't have to finish the entire paper at his age, perhaps a few articles that are age-appropriate and length-appropriate.
But if he finds it boring, start with magazines that interest him, eg pop music, online games, sports. They tend to absorb the language better if the topic interests them.

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby the queen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:26 pm

[quote="D3@n"]Creative Writing is one I'd recommend.
As for reading newspaper, that is an excellent habit to adopt from young.
He doesn't have to finish the entire paper at his age, perhaps a few articles that are age-appropriate and length-appropriate.
But if he finds it boring, start with magazines that interest him, eg pop music, online games, sports. They tend to absorb the language better if the topic interests them.[/quote]

yes correct , what you've said earlier is quite true !

the queen
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby The Write Corner » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:40 pm

the queen wrote:Hello dear all mummies.. I would like to seek advice from you. My Ds1 currently in P3, is very weak in his English writing composition, I am clueless on how to correct him in his writing composition.

Any tips for me on how to guide him in his writing composition or is there any centre for learning on writing composition in Sengkang area ?

Hi Mummy,

I have been teaching Narrative Writing for a few years and here are a couple of suggestions for you! :smile:

- Reading with him & encouraging him to read widely

- Learning Simple Writing Skills such as Show-not-Tell, using your 5 senses, Ways to say "Said", "Run", "Walk" and ways to start a composition
(You can do a quick search online to find, there are many resources available)

- Keep encouraging and putting positive remarks on his writing :)

Here's an example -

Feel free to drop me your kid's composition and I'll be happy to return with a detailed feedback and tips for you. (Again, no charge, no obligations or strings attached, I am just happy to help! I enjoy what I do and I will not pester you after that. Haha. Drop me an email or text!)

All the best to you!!! :please: :grphug:

:smile: :rahrah: :boogie:

Nicolette
The Write Corner
-
You can find my email & contact details here -http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/write-corner

The Write Corner
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child