Celebrating Birthdays in Primary School

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Celebrating Birthdays in Primary School

Postby lazyvain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:02 pm

First of all, i would like to say hi to all. I'm a newbie at Kiasuparents but have been browsing through this site for some time now.

My girl just started primary school this year. She's celebrating her birthday next week and have no idea how birthdays are spent in P1. In her old kindergarten - birthday girls/boys bring goodie bags to school or parents bring cake to share to classmates.

Any advise or experience on this? Thanks!

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Birthday Celebration for Primary Schoolers

Postby buds » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:10 pm

You can still continue the tradition with the goodie bags for your
child's friends if you want, but the only difference is in P1 parents
aren't allowed in as compared to during pre-school years' celebrations.

B'day children can only bring in the loot themselves and ask the teacher's
permission to be allowed to distribute the birthday goodie bags to all the
classmates.

So far, most common i've experienced for Primary schoolers is parents
sending out invites to the students in the class through the birthday child,
to celebrate or attend birthday party venue outside during the weekends (Sat/Sun)...
could be a fast food outlet, a children's venue like Art Boot Camp,
eXplorer Kids, Genius R Us... (etc) or even the birthday child's home..

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lazyvain » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm

thanks buds!

lazyvain
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Andaiz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Great for you...my DD1 has her bdy end December so it was a mad scramble for phone numbers that we've forgotten over the course of the year...

If your child's invited to a birthday party, make sure that you stay long enough to catch up and network with some parents... :love: invaluable!

Andaiz
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Celebrating Birthdays in Primary School

Postby phtthp » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:17 am

Primary schools do not allow birthday celebration of kids, in school premises

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 pm

For my kid's school, goodie bags are still allowed but bringing food is not encouraged due to hygiene and allergy reasons. The teacher ever shared that in another school, the birthday girl/boy would be given an egg and told to protect it from breaking until he/she reaches home. The purpose is to make the child feel grateful to the mother for carrying and protecting him/her for 10 months in the womb, 要记得生日也是母亲受难日哦!

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:52 am

phtthp wrote:Primary schools do not allow birthday celebration of kids, in school premises

Why?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:01 am

birthday celebrations still possible during primary school, but not during school curriculum. parents aren't allowed into the school unlike kindergarten. I've attended several parties on weekends when daughter was in lower primary.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 am

phtthp wrote:Primary schools do not allow birthday celebration of kids, in school premises

Not true....it depends on schools and teachers. I have celebrated my two kids' birthdays in two different schools, both with the support of the teachers.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby alng » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:09 am

Hi,

I had celebrated my son's birthday during their recess at the school canteen. The teachers were supportive and let the whole class went to recess earlier and expected them to return late after recess. I ordered macdonald and got macdonald to deliver the food to the school. I was there waiting at the canteen to receive the food. I also brought in a cake and goodies bags. The whole party lasted for about 45 minutes.

As for my girl, the most memorable one was her surprised birthday party at P6. It was the PSLE year and the students were quite stressed up. I worked with the form teacher to throw a surprised party during recess in the canteen. I arranged for catered food and cake to be delivered to the school and the teacher helped to receive the food and cake. The teacher just asked the whole class to meet her at the canteen. All the students, including my girl, were very surprised. They had a party for slightly more than an hour I think. The teacher took photos for me.

alng
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child