How to teach a child to take care of his things?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to teach a child to take care of his things?

Postby Snow24 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi

Anyone can share how we n what we can do to teach a child to be responsible and take care of his things?

My P1 son keep losing things in school eg pencil case, sharpener.
Last edited by Snow24 on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to teach a child to take care of his things?

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi

Anyone can share how we n what we can do to teach a child to be responsible and take care of his things?

My son keep losing things in school eg pencil case, sharpener.

P1?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:25 am

I guess he's young? This is what I did when my girls were starting out: Label everything with the child's name (and class, if there's space) so there is a slightly higher chance of it being returned. Institute a "fine" system for frequent losses of essential items, or make the child do "chores" at home to "earn" a replacement. For non-essential items, just refuse to replace it. I would give one chance - just a lecture the first time, and a warning about the penalty, then impose the penalty the 2nd time.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imami » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:05 am

Snow24 wrote:Hi

My son keep losing things in school eg pencil case, sharpener.

Hello Snow24,

I don't have a direct answer to your question but I can share with you what I do for my kid. He is in p1 this year.

At the start of k2, the cc requested a set of personal belongings and that we would need to label every single item for the child. I remembered sitting at his kiddy desk, doing the labeling for him. He watched with curiosity.

There, I told him these were his to bring to school. As the owner, he would need to ensure his belongings were treated with respect and care, to ensure they returned to his pencil case/bag at the end of the day.

I added, as a parent, I would only supply a new set each year. If, at any point during the year, he lost any item or spoilt any item due to negligence or mischievousness, he would need to figure out how/where to get replacement.

So far, it works. Of cos, there are instances when he broke a water bottle or ruler.... Lost his eraser etc. He would let me know and asked for a replacement sheepishly. A replacement would be provided (never brand new, always something he has at home) and I would explain the value of the lost/damaged item (ie price) and make him calculate how many days worth of pocket money that would be.

My kid is a softie at heart. Sometimes I would personify the pencil (for example) and pretended that it's crying alone somewhere in school, because my kid forgot about it. It always work. He would go look for the item the next day. :lol:

I believe when a child realizes the value attached to the items and/or suffers the inconveniences of not having the item, they learn to take ownership and be responsible for their belonging.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:44 am

If the child has been going to enrichment centres/half-day academic-based kindergartens prior to primary school, they shdn't have this problem of misplacing/forgetting/losing their stationery/water bottle/pencil case. It's already a routine for them.

Stock up on pencils, erasers, sharpeners, rulers at home? I've a "free" flow of cheap stationery & stuffs at home - spare pencil cases, wallets, water bottles, school ties and watches. Kid can afford to lose these 身外物 anytime. But so far kid hasn't lost anything cos already very familiar with SOP.

But if "intellectual property" like homework diary, textbooks, exercise books, activity books, storybooks or subject files with worksheets are misplaced or left overnight in the school/basc locker, I'll be extremely cross.

Labeling can only help this much. Need to ingrain in them a sense of ownership and responsibility. For the long-term.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:34 am

err, I have a slightly different take. Some kids are very careful and well organised, some are very absent minded and frazzled by multiple tasks/items. The difference in my 2 kids was clear since ds2 was 5. Half the time he had to remind ds1 about his belongings. You won't believe they are from the same family.

I just kept replacing items for ds1 through P1 and 2, delinked his student card from his library card, and finally did not replace his student card after the third one. He was quite apologetic so I didn't give him a hard time. I also felt his limited multi-tasking bandwidth was maxed out. In any case, I can't complain. According to my parents, I was just as bad as ds1 with my school items, like textbooks (though I don't remember it, hahaha).

At some point, ds1 decided to do without water bottles, pencil case and wallet. Instead he used disposable water bottles, stashed pencils and erasers in his bag's pockets, and put coins in his pocket daily.

His organisational skills improved when he was 10 and I encouraged him to start bringing more personal items again. I told him take it as practicing for NS - cannot lose your rifle! :) So far so good.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:57 am

Imami wrote: My kid is a softie at heart. Sometimes I would personify the pencil (for example) and pretended that it's crying alone somewhere in school, because my kid forgot about it. It always work. He would go look for the item the next day. :lol:

:scared: Your boy is a softie and you still scare him like that??!!

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FB555 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:21 pm

Most likely, a change of env and change of routine, the child who is usually careless and forgetful, will find it a challenge to remember and take care of his things.
He probably need more time to settle in for a few weeks and if things really get out of hand , like my ds, you will need to speak to his form teacher.

My ds also keep losing his things when he was in p1. He misplaced his things every few weeks :sweat:
He is a disorganized amd careless boy and a change of env and routine(primary sch) really too much for him to handle.
We have punished him at home for every single item tat he had lost and also spoke to his form teacher. The teacher assigned 2 students to assist him to take care of his belongings. One of them is my dd.
He has "butter-finger" and things (coins , eraser)always slip thru his finger and when it drop onto the floor, no matter how much my kids comb the classroom, they said they could not find it. My ds had lost many things when he was in p1 and they had seek permission to comb the entire classroom many times, but never found it. Those things tat my ds left on the desk could also disappear in thim air. So the rule of the thumb tat my ds need only to remember is tat - NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING ON THE DESK WHEN HE LEAVE THE CLASSROOM.

He is more settled in now tat he is p2 and in better control now.

Btw, i label every single item of my kids belongings, even colour pencils and pencils. But it was never found except for one pencil. But i heard my kids said tat the tr's table has a lot of stationery. :scratchhead:
FB555
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hazelgame » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:36 pm

To children, why don't you allow them play games for kids. Baby Hazel games are really suitable for 3-4-5 year old children. These games will teach them to keep furniture in your house, what to do in kitchen, clean the bathroom. I think this can help you in educating your kids. Please visit Baby Hazel Games to see how it can help you.

hazelgame
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Imami » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:12 pm

Nebbermind wrote:
Imami wrote: My kid is a softie at heart. Sometimes I would personify the pencil (for example) and pretended that it's crying alone somewhere in school, because my kid forgot about it. It always work. He would go look for the item the next day. :lol:

:scared: Your boy is a softie and you still scare him like that??!!

:rotflmao:

Psst, I am a sadist! :imanangel:

Seriously, this method works for him. 因材施教。 :evil: no nightmare la, don't worry.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child