How to train a child to learn how to pack his school bag

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to train a child to learn how to pack his school bag

Postby Snow24 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi

Anyone can share how do you train a child to pack his own school bag?

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to train a child to learn how to pack his school bag

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Do it with him every day until he gets the idea. If necessary, write down a list of things to check/remember so he check for himself. I pasted a list on the wall where my kids put their schoolbags, and told them to go through the list every day.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:26 am

We have pasted a copy of the school time-table on the study room door, and also put a copy in the plastic display sleeve her school bag.

slmkhoo wrote:Do it with him every day until he gets the idea. If necessary, write down a list of things to check/remember so he check for himself. I pasted a list on the wall where my kids put their schoolbags, and told them to go through the list every day.

This is a good idea. I suggest you make a list of things needed for each subject in the current month; like:

Subject Items
--------- -----------------------------------
Maths Textbook 3A, Workbook 3A1, model template, protractor
Science Textbook (Cycles), Workbook (Cycles), Sci. Journal
English Stellar Reader 3, Composition book, My Grammar Book
Music Recorder

Then guide your student to look at the next day's time-table, look up the items for each subject and pack them. (And remember to unpack the unneeded items; my child tends to carry things around long after they are no longer used in class....)

nansk
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:04 am

nansk wrote:We have pasted a copy of the school time-table on the study room door, and also put a copy in the plastic display sleeve her school bag.

slmkhoo wrote:Do it with him every day until he gets the idea. If necessary, write down a list of things to check/remember so he check for himself. I pasted a list on the wall where my kids put their schoolbags, and told them to go through the list every day.

This is a good idea. I suggest you make a list of things needed for each subject in the current month; like:

Subject Items
--------- -----------------------------------
Maths Textbook 3A, Workbook 3A1, model template, protractor
Science Textbook (Cycles), Workbook (Cycles), Sci. Journal
English Stellar Reader 3, Composition book, My Grammar Book
Music Recorder

Then guide your student to look at the next day's time-table, look up the items for each subject and pack them. (And remember to unpack the unneeded items; my child tends to carry things around long after they are no longer used in class....)

We also included items like water bottle, lunchbox, folder with forms/letters/worksheets, library book, and whatever is usually carried.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow24 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi nansk and simkhoo

Thanks for sharing. Will try out your tips.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby himmel » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:43 pm

For me, I bought a document tray that has 5-6 drawers and label each drawers with the subject title. She'll start by looking at timetable, for example if today is Thu evening, she'll compare Thu and Fri timetable to see if there are any books that are not already in school bag. Then retrieve books for the new subjects for Fri from Tray. Anything not required, she'll take out from school bag and put it back in the correct Tray. It works so far. Occasionally I'll just check to see if she does it correctly.

himmel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child