Nap for Primary 1

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Nap for Primary 1

Postby Snow24 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:52 pm

Hi

Do you let your child nap in the afternoon after school dismissal ?

My son need to wake up at 5.50am every morning.After school he is tired but he refused to take a nap until we forced him to.

Do you let your child take nap and for how long usually?

Some people said should not let child take afternoon nap so that he can sleep earlier at bedtime.

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Nap for Primary 1

Postby slmkhoo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:37 pm

Snow24 wrote:Hi

Do you let your child nap in the afternoon after school dismissal ?

My son need to wake up at 5.50am every morning.After school he is tired but he refused to take a nap until we forced him to.

Do you let your child take nap and for how long usually?

Some people said should not let child take afternoon nap so that he can sleep earlier at bedtime.

I think it depends on the child and your schedule. As long as the child gets sufficient sleep each day, it doesn't matter whether it's nap+night or just night. If your son doesn't want to nap, then organise his schedule so he can go to bed earlier. When my kids were at that age, the older one wouldn't nap, but the younger one would, so they ended up sleeping at the same time, which suited me better. The napping one would sleep about 1 hr at most, and I would always wake her up if she didn't get up by herself to ensure that she wouldn't go to bed too late.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby prata_queen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 pm

hihi, my older girl in P1 refuses to nap, ever since she was in K1/K2. I used to strictly enforce naptime but she would just lie there and talk to didi. Because she doesn't sleep, didi also couldn't fall asleep. So I bring forward their Sunday bedtime to 8pm. By 830pm, both are usually asleep.

prata_queen
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 pm

My 2 kids still take naps...otherwise they cannot get work done and do any revision at night. Son has a lot of homework and with frequent tests, he needs the nap to refresh himself after a long day in school.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Blokus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:38 am

Nap is a must in my household. I make my kids nap after school; they need to recharge especially since they wake up so early everyday. But the real reason is that my hub comes home around 730 each night, if the kids sleep early, they won't have enough time with him. But I do think as long as the kids can clock their required amount of zzz, it doesn't matter whether they nap or not.

Blokus
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:35 am

Blokus wrote:Nap is a must in my household. I make my kids nap after school; they need to recharge especially since they wake up so early everyday. But the real reason is that my hub comes home around 730 each night, if the kids sleep early, they won't have enough time with him. But I do think as long as the kids can clock their required amount of zzz, it doesn't matter whether they nap or not.

I believe in power nap because it does wonders. if they rush to finish their work to sleep at 9, they will strain their eyes. tests/exams dates are given 2 weeks in advance...without consistent revision, how will they be prepared?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Quizzer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:13 pm

Is 4pm too late to have a power nap? cos by the time my P2 is done with all the travelling, wash up and lunch etc 4pm is the earliest time he can start on his homework and have his 1 to 1 time with me before his little brother come home from childcare around 6.30pm. :sweat: Any time after that is all shared. The reason why i'm reconsidering on having power nap cos I noticed he's easily distracted doing his homework and yawning away these days..probably tired after a long day in school.

I tried getting him to take power nap when he was in P1, ended up he was just tossing around waiting for time up in bed. It wasn't so bad last time cos he didn't have too much homework that needed to be completed. Things are quite different now with tougher Chinese spelling and more homework, he takes longer time to finish them all.

Right now his routine is pretty much fixed, starting the day at 6.15am and retire to bed around 9pm. I guess with a power nap slot i'll probably need to push back his sleeping time later? Not tOo bad, at least they might be able to catch daddy coming home from work ?

Quizzer
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:02 pm

My daughter needs her beauty nap...after she returns from school, has lunch and bath, she automatically knocks out at 4. If she doesn't nap, she doesn't have the energy to stay up to finish homework and learn spelling...worse if she has compo to do. On the days she has PE, she knocks out at 3 plus.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Snow24 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi

My son has PE on the day that he is most tired especially when it is mid week.He seemed unable to sustain till at night without an afternoon nap.After dinner he will go cranky. Worse is we need to go through the spelling with him at night. Is PE so tiring for the child?

Snow24
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:12 pm

Snow24 wrote:Hi

My son has PE on the day that he is most tired especially when it is mid week.He seemed unable to sustain till at night without an afternoon nap.After dinner he will go cranky. Worse is we need to go through the spelling with him at night. Is PE so tiring for the child?

I guess how tired a child gets depends on how fit he is to begin with, how much the teacher gets them to do, and how much effort the child puts in. On the days he is very tired, you could get him to take a short nap after getting home. Or get him to learn the spelling the night before the PE lesson rather than after. In fact, why not get him to learn his spelling over the weekend?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child