Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

How to train/ teach a kid to Reading and Learning?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: How to train/ teach a kid to Reading and Learning?

Postby slmkhoo » Sat May 06, 2017 7:25 am

vinegar wrote:Perhaps can start intro her a book based on her interest, like wat other suggested. I hv had hard time getting my ds to read in the beginning too. Then I started getting him the books, comics of his interests.
Similarly I bring him to library v often. Sometimes we traveled to few libraries to get the books he wanna. The downside is he can become v obsessed wf reading. We hv been struggling to balance him with other activities. And he only likes to read story books, fiction, comic...but not textbooks.

Very few, if any, kids enjoy textbooks! Adults don't enjoy textbooks either! He needs to find a balance between reading for pleasure and functional reading, and he needs to learn how to discipline himself. For younger kids, a schedule and a timer might be a good start.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Katie73 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:53 pm

what are some of the books that your teenagers are reading nowadays?

apart from recommendations from my kids' tutor, I don't really know what books to buy for my teenagers. it's difficult to know which books out there are suitable. i am also concerned about inappropriate content in teenage books nowadays. has anyone read Looking for Alaska?

It's marketed as a teenage book but it has quite a lot of inappropriate content.. In my opinion.

Katie73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sky minecrafter » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Katie73 wrote:what are some of the books that your teenagers are reading nowadays?

Philip Pullman

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Katie73 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 am

Cool.. Will check out his books

sky minecrafter wrote:
Katie73 wrote:what are some of the books that your teenagers are reading nowadays?

Philip Pullman

Katie73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CalvinS » Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 am

This is what we normally do. We look for letters while out and about and in the environment around us. When teaching letters and letter sounds, incorporate as many senses as possible. Read a variety of books and make a game out of guessing the genre. Hope this helps!

CalvinS
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby foodie4stuff » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:27 am

Well we bought a whole set of encyclopaedia for the first girl. She never touched it. But the second brother who's 6 years now seem to be very interested. Just doesn't know certain words so he'll disturb us asking what's the meaning of this word that word. But maybe the encyclopaedia set can help establish good reading habits

foodie4stuff
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres