How to educate a immature child

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to educate a immature child

Postby lchunleo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi

my child is 5 yrs old and is immature when comes to issues which we had explained to him but he still can't accept. Recently, we had changed school for him and he had to take a school bus. But he is reluntant and give us the lazy attitude, like laying on the floor and not changing into school uniform. (But he enjoyed the new school once he was in). And because he did not take the school bus, we had to asked our in-law to bring him there. After explaining to him that the inconvenience and money paid, he understood (after the event) but forgot again the next day and do the same thing. Am i expecting too much from him? thanks for your input and guidance.

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How to educate a immature child

Postby Aloysiusbb » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:05 pm

lchunleo wrote:Hi

my child is 5 yrs old and is immature when comes to issues which we had explained to him but he still can't accept. Recently, we had changed school for him and he had to take a school bus. But he is reluntant and give us the lazy attitude, like laying on the floor and not changing into school uniform. (But he enjoyed the new school once he was in). And because he did not take the school bus, we had to asked our in-law to bring him there. After explaining to him that the inconvenience and money paid, he understood (after the event) but forgot again the next day and do the same thing. Am i expecting too much from him? thanks for your input and guidance.

I dun think he is immature.. maybe change of environment and he is still not getting used to it.

maybe give him some time to adjust to new evironment and ask him everynight wat he do in school and wat new friends he had made.

Aloysiusbb
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby zbear » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:18 pm

Sorry to say this, my ds is already 16 years old n he is still immature.

What more for a 5 year old child?

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

1 people like this post

Postby Anfield » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Is he getting enough sleep?

Anfield
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Does he like his grandparents to bring him? If so, he may just be making sure that it happens every day. The grandparents will have to make it less pleasant.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:09 pm

DD was like that too. Loved her kindy but refused to change into uniform. We took her uniform and changed at some quite place on the way to school. She allowed that. She knew we were taking the uniform , she even reminded me after a while. Once near school, she went in without fuss and waved back. But somehow , she did not want to leave home.

At 5 they aren't able to express or even understand their emotions. sometimes its just too much for them. I would advise, stay persistent but patient. It is hard, but try to make it lively and mentally prepare for delays and laziness. The hardest part for me was is in keeping my emotions in check.

And best part is things do get better :snuggles:

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:42 pm

Was he like that from the very 1st day he had to take the school bus? 1stly rule out that anything negative happened on the ride to school. If all is well, stick to the plan.

Do not give him an alternative. If he does not get out of his PJs tell him he can jolly well go to school in them. Be firm and patient, persist and soon he will adapt to the new routine.

Kids will not be able to fully understand that it costs money and their behaviour caused inconvenience. You can talk to them and they may know and even rationalise with you about it but when it comes to the actual event, what they feel at that moment will supercede all knowledge or rationale. Put it this way even we adults are like that. We all know that exercise is good for us, we all know that we should make time for it, we may even set the alarm and put out our sports gear, but when faced with waking that 30mins earlier for a jog or continue sleeping in, be honest, most will choose to sleep in. :razz:

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby lchunleo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Thank all for responding to my question. Really appreciate.

Yes, he has slept well, but he is an early riser, about 7 am+ he will wake up. The bus come at around 10.40 am, so there are some gaps in waiting time which he may feel tired when the time arrived to go to school (?).

i agreed with having patience, but sometimes, really testing my limits especially under the pressure of time, critical moments, that i almost going to snap and becoming very grumby and nagging. imagine someone poking your hot buttons everyday.. but as some of you have mentioned, yes, still need to have patience..patience..patience..

i told him yesterday that no bus no school (understanding he like the school). am taking a gamble as he can also jolly say no school for him, taking advantage of the situation. Based on what i understood i think the bus drag him out and not used to it, that why he rejected it..sign...

dunno when he one day will wake up and become sensible...haha..

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lchunleo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Aloysiusbb wrote:

I dun think he is immature.. maybe change of environment and he is still not getting used to it.

maybe give him some time to adjust to new evironment and ask him everynight wat he do in school and wat new friends he had made.

true, i think it is logical, maybe it is me who have to adjust to him when he is adjusting to the school...:D

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lchunleo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:DD was like that too. Loved her kindy but refused to change into uniform. We took her uniform and changed at some quite place on the way to school. She allowed that. She knew we were taking the uniform , she even reminded me after a while. Once near school, she went in without fuss and waved back. But somehow , she did not want to leave home.

At 5 they aren't able to express or even understand their emotions. sometimes its just too much for them. I would advise, stay persistent but patient. It is hard, but try to make it lively and mentally prepare for delays and laziness. The hardest part for me was is in keeping my emotions in check.

And best part is things do get better :snuggles:

i agree on that, difficult as we are humans afterall..D sometimes, i find that my life is run by children...

lchunleo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child