Are Singapore students too stressed out?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: Are Singapore students too stressed out?

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:32 am

Imp75 wrote:ok I think I am a bit paranoid...my Sec1 DD has minimal hw (so far only HCL and Maths), she doesn't revise too (this I know cos she's always like that)........is this usual for Sec1 (ie honeymoon period)? No need to panic right? She's very chill so if there is no need for alarm, I wouldn't do it.

wow :yikes: your daughter super chill for sec 1 IP.

mine here no honeymoon. have to be on the ball since day 1.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am

janet88 wrote:
Imp75 wrote:ok I think I am a bit paranoid...my Sec1 DD has minimal hw (so far only HCL and Maths), she doesn't revise too (this I know cos she's always like that)........is this usual for Sec1 (ie honeymoon period)? No need to panic right? She's very chill so if there is no need for alarm, I wouldn't do it.

mine here no honeymoon. have to be on the ball since day 1.

She's also chill for PSLE.....I think she has no drive to want to do better lol.....do min can liao!!
I think I more gancheong for her but hubby says I should re-focus on my younger ones.....PSLE in 2018.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 am

Imp75 wrote:

She's also chill for PSLE.....I think she has no drive to want to do better lol.....do min can liao!!
I think I more gancheong for her but hubby says I should re-focus on my younger ones.....PSLE in 2018.

imp75, two more for psle? relac relac ,sayang ... :)
ur dd is clever, should be able to do it.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am

no clever lah...I ask her aim for passing marks can liao. I also super low expectations...
Most impt is "journey is still long....don't get stressed out at Year 1..."

Yes working on the younger ones so next time hopefully same school then woohoo transport issue solved.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm

sleepy wrote:
Yngmng wrote:It's a matter of choice. DD stopped her piano and ballet lessons. She does not take third language and has only tuition on sat. CCA are only twice a week and no activity on Sunday. She felt that compared to her friends, her schedule is manageable. She sleeps around 10 pm.

:hi5: Similar schedule. No piano lessons and no 3rd lang or MEP.
CCA is quite slacked, twice a week and won't stretch beyond official CCA time.

I don't like to load kids with too much stuff.

Hi Yngmng/ sleepy,
may I check with both of you, sec 1 cca is twice a week usually? Sec 1 workload and schedule wise, is it busier than P5 and P6 years in conparision, assuming no tuition in sec 1? Thanks.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yngmng » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:28 pm

She stays back on 2 days for cca but not sure about other cca. Except for cca days, she is released at around 1 pm. She spends about 2 hours on her homework but will try to complete some in school. She does seem busier.

Yngmng
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby sleepy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:50 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:may I check with both of you, sec 1 cca is twice a week usually? Sec 1 workload and schedule wise, is it busier than P5 and P6 years in conparision, assuming no tuition in sec 1? Thanks.

Both my kids used to stay back thrice a week in primary school. Now secondary school also similar - still thrice a week, just that timing are around 2 hours longer than primary school on those 3 days. And they have to wake up 15 to 20 mins earlier because their secondary school is further away than their primary school.

Out the 3 days, 2 days are CCA related and 1 day is not but compulsory nevertheless. Both their CCAs do not stretch beyond official CCA time. By my definition, this type of CCA is considered quite slacked liao.

Generally speaking, performing art CCAs are more time consuming. Some with ad hoc extra sessions or rubber timing where rehearsals can stretch whole day. Best is to find out from seniors who are already in that CCA what is the actual CCA time commitment, not just the official CCA timing.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby FantasyLandDreams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Thanks both, for your replies. I thought P5 timetable is bad enough, looks like sec 1 could be worse. :faint: Perhaps even more important now to choose a secondary school near home, as compared to primary school due to longer school hours. :nailbite:

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby TheAnswer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:51 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Thanks both, for your replies. I thought P5 timetable is bad enough, looks like sec 1 could be worse. :faint: Perhaps even more important now to choose a secondary school near home, as compared to primary school due to longer school hours. :nailbite:

P5 is hardly bad. Try Sec 4 and JC2. P5 timetable will seem like peanuts. I'm serious.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 am

FantasyLandDreams wrote:Thanks both, for your replies. I thought P5 timetable is bad enough, looks like sec 1 could be worse. :faint: Perhaps even more important now to choose a secondary school near home, as compared to primary school due to longer school hours. :nailbite:

It's good to try to keep timetables reasonable, but also remember that kids grow up. As they get older, their ability to cope with longer hours should increase, and they should be learning to be more efficient as well (eg. learning in class or through doing homework without the need for a lot of extra coaching at home, planning and thinking during longer commutes etc).

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Working With Your Child