Supporting Child's Talent/Hobbies

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Supporting Child's Talent/Hobbies

Postby EN » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Some child/children excel in math, some in creative writing, some in drawing, some in sports arena, some in music. While some doesn't have
amplified talent but has hobbies to fill their unoccupied hour. Be it reading, stamps, coins, insects, leaves collecting or .....

I am wondering how do other parents support their child/children's talent or hobbies. What role do parents play in nurturing the child/children's talent. How do parents shows encouragement and support. Are there any parents who try to minimize their child/children's involvement in pursuing their talent or hobbies? What's your concern in trying to minimize the child/children's involvement?

How do parents balance the call for talent/hobbies versus school work?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:11 am

En, I believe it is important for a child to develop a passion for something, be it talent or hobby. I feel that actually brings more meaning to life. Even the passion for cooking and baking should not be overlooked.

I suppose the degree of support varies with the thickness of the interest.
Some areas of support to consider:

1. Support in the form of Encouragement
It is crucial as that is the mental pillar of strength for them.

2. Support in terms of Financial
Need to be looked into....if it is something affordable, something like loving real sports cars would be beyond most of us. Models ones still ok. :lol:

3. Support in terms of Participation
If it is nothing bone-breaking like ice-skating or mountain-climbing, something I can also do, I don't mind picking it up together to enjoy doing it together.

Ideally, the talent/hobby can coexist with the schoolwork. A balance is preferred to be struck because no matter how far talent can bring a person, a complete education, not paper chase...is still necessary. However, if there is an alternative way to complete this education, I am open to exploring it instead of going through the normal way if it can keep this hobby/talent side by side healthily. If one is deep-seated in a passionate healthy hobby, I don't think asking him/her to focus on schoolwork alone can render better results. Just my 2 cts. I think a living example is 2ppaamm who has kids doing sports as state representatives.

Postby EN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi ks2me

So, what is your child's hobby or talent?

How do you support her interest? Based on the other thread, I presume your daughter loves singing?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:42 pm

My children loves to draw especially so for my daughter. Tons of drawings which she spends hours on them. I don't quite understand her drawing because it is always full of people. Some times I see creatures with fangs or horn which makes me so worried.

Of course I was crossed when she draws at the expense of studying time.

Now, I do understand what her drawings are all about. In the past, the drawings are done on pieces of paper which I often throw because her room is getting to be untidy :oops:. But now, I realize there is a story behind the drawings.

I now understand that my daughter has been spending time, writing out a comic. Takes me 10 years to understand but I'm glad I have at last understand what her hobby is.

So, does anyone has any interesting story to share in supporting their child/children hobby or talent?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm

EN wrote:Hi ks2me

So, what is your child's hobby or talent?

How do you support her interest? Based on the other thread, I presume your daughter loves singing?

Honestly, I am still monitoring. Appears to be music but I cannot be sure so I will just keep monitoring. Yes I support by letting her indulge abit in anything related to music. Even if she is not good in it, I am happy to know that she is into some good hobby.

If it takes you 10 years to understand it, it will probably take me the same, if not more. I am actually impressed by what your child can do, writing and drawing comics takes alot of good imagination indeed! Way to go! :celebrate:

Postby daisyt » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

I can say, me and hubby are the kind, who support dd all the way, as long as the hobbies/talent are healthy, useful ones. Even its something very new to her, never try before, we would spend $ and time for/with her.

Our philosophy is very straight forward, like what she likes, interested in her interest and do it with her. Even if it can be something new to us too, we would take an effort to learn. Partly because we want to be in the same track with her and we also enjoy picking up new stuffs. :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Supporting Child's Talent/Hobbies

Postby peterch » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:59 pm

EN wrote:Some child/children excel in math, some in creative writing, some in drawing, some in sports arena, some in music. While some doesn't have
amplified talent but has hobbies to fill their unoccupied hour. Be it reading, stamps, coins, insects, leaves collecting or .....

I am wondering how do other parents support their child/children's talent or hobbies. What role do parents play in nurturing the child/children's talent. How do parents shows encouragement and support. Are there any parents who try to minimize their child/children's involvement in pursuing their talent or hobbies? What's your concern in trying to minimize the child/children's involvement?

How do parents balance the call for talent/hobbies versus school work?

I have a son who is very fond of basketball. I do support him to go to a club and sometimes accompany him for practice. BUT we have a commitment that his school work comes first. So far he could manage with a little time management from me :D

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:09 pm

daisyt wrote:I can say, me and hubby are the kind, who support dd all the way, as long as the hobbies/talent are healthy, useful ones. Even its something very new to her, never try before, we would spend $ and time for/with her.

Our philosophy is very straight forward, like what she likes, interested in her interest and do it with her. Even if it can be something new to us too, we would take an effort to learn. Partly because we want to be in the same track with her and we also enjoy picking up new stuffs. :D

:goodpost: daisyt ...

That is an excellent attitude/mindset to have. It also ensures the bond with kids is not broken.

I intend to adopt such a mindset when my child is older too.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:23 pm

My dd2 wants to be a super star :D

She's really enthusiastic about her future superstar career & even had a vivid idea how her future stage will look like. Immediate family members will have the priviledge to sit on the first row of her concert. I'm assigned the task of auditing ticket sales revenue. A portion of her taking will be donated to charity. Her mid term plans include taking more dancing classes & learning 4 additional musical instruments. She seems very serious considering she had it all planned :wink:

Hubby said it's good to have a BIG goal & we shouldn't be too concerned whether it's a realistic goal at this point in time since she's only 6yo. So to help her prepare for her future superstar career, she's currently taking ballet and music lessons. She's motivated to practice piano an hour daily as she feels that she's working towards her career. She dances a lot at home too, to any kind of music. Hubby intends to send her for vocal lesson. We are still looking for vocal teacher, please recommend if you know any good teacher :please:

As a back up plan, I try to broaden her definition of super star. You know PSLE scholar is a super star too. How about working towards that at the same time :|

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Honestly, I am still monitoring. Appears to be music but I cannot be sure so I will just keep monitoring. Yes I support by letting her indulge abit in anything related to music. Even if she is not good in it, I am happy to know that she is into some good hobby.

If it takes you 10 years to understand it, it will probably take me the same, if not more. I am actually impressed by what your child can do, writing and drawing comics takes alot of good imagination indeed! Way to go!

Ya, me too for ds. I will just keep monitoring as this one keeps on changing his interest.

I take 10 years to understand because I don't have the luxury to spend so much time with my kids. Also my daughter does her drawing behind closed door or while I'm at work. All I can find are pieces of papers full of drawing all over her room. (The mummy so blur right..)

Now that I saw the comic (still in progress), I'm impressed too by the drawing & the story line.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child