How to manage a child who refuse to sleep

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

How to manage a child who refuse to sleep

Postby ling123 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:03 pm

Topic: need help my son sleep very late at night.

can any mummy help me. My son is 2 years old. Recently we had weam off his pacifer almost 1 weeks plus. and recently he went to bed around 12.30am - 1.00am and wake up around 10.00am. We ask him to go to bed and he will cry. my hubby said like that how to go to playgroup cause he will start going to the class next month at 9.00am

My mun said maybe he can't sleep without his pacifer. but almost 1 week lai lah. his afternoon nap is around 2.30pm - 4.30pm.

can any mummy advise me what to do?

ling123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby EN » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi

Similar experience but my son was not on pacifier. I stop breast feeding as my son turns 2 years old. When I first stop breast feeding, it was like a battle of will between the two of us. We did not sleep for the first few days & will only fall asleep when the clock turns 3-4 am. I've got to work the following day & he has to attend the child care. The teacher thought he looked tired & allow him for extra sleep.

When I told the teacher about the battle of will that was going on at night, the teacher disallow my son to sleep in the morning but allow him to sleep slightly earlier in the afternoon. It was done gradually, until he was well adjusted & the battle of will gone.

My suggestion to you is to wake him up earlier than 10 am (half an hour earlier) then move up the waking time. When time to sleep at night, turn off the light earlier and it might help if everyone prepares for bed too.

Good luck.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaitlynangelica » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:48 pm

EN wrote:Hi

Similar experience but my son was not on pacifier. I stop breast feeding as my son turns 2 years old. When I first stop breast feeding, it was like a battle of will between the two of us. We did not sleep for the first few days & will only fall asleep when the clock turns 3-4 am. I've got to work the following day & he has to attend the child care. The teacher thought he looked tired & allow him for extra sleep.

When I told the teacher about the battle of will that was going on at night, the teacher disallow my son to sleep in the morning but allow him to sleep slightly earlier in the afternoon. It was done gradually, until he was well adjusted & the battle of will gone.

My suggestion to you is to wake him up earlier than 10 am (half an hour earlier) then move up the waking time. When time to sleep at night, turn off the light earlier and it might help if everyone prepares for bed too.

Good luck.

Hi,

had the same problem with my 4.5 year old gal. She sleeps about 11pm at nite and then wakes up at 7 am to go to cc. In the afternoon, sleeps about 2 hours. Sometimes, she doesn't sleep at all! that's why she is so skinny, weighing only 15kg now.

www.richestsg.com/Bigstore

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby breguet » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I remember complaining to our pediatrician when my son turned 1yo about why he dropped both his naps, all within 3 mths. The pede said it could be inherited, and it's true! I sleep very little. My husband says that at least, my son's and my own waking hours match, so we can put up with each other :-). So now, I just keep quiet and put up with it. As long as he's healthy, we just take it as his natural rhythm. One thing is true though - he's very small sized, partly (not entirely) because he doesn't have good rest at night. This apparently will even out at puberty (I hope!).

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:54 am

Hi brequet

Makes sense. My son sleeping pattern matches mine (very short hours) & my daughter follow my husband (extremely too long).

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ling123 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi everyone

thks for your advise. i agreed with breguet answers.

En, breguet and kaitlynangelica normally what time does your children sleep at night. how about their afternoon nap timing.

ling123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby breguet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:12 pm

ling123 wrote:Hi everyone

thks for your advise. i agreed with breguet answers.

En, breguet and kaitlynangelica normally what time does your children sleep at night. how about their afternoon nap timing.

Sleeps 12-1am, wakes up anytime from 8 to 10, but usually 9ish. No naps since 15 mths. He's 5.5yo now. He says he can't bear to miss out on the fun. :shock:

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby EN » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:06 pm

He was the only one in childcare who did not sleep during the nap time. So the teacher ask him to just lie down & rest. Now he is in P1, he sleeps around 10.30 - 11.30pm. Will wake up between 8-8.30 to say goodbye to mummy before I go off to work. No matter how late he sleep (ever 2 am) he will still wake up around the same time.

No nap during the weekends. Occassionally he will nap. Just like me when our body is extremely exhausted, will we take nap to re-charge our battery. :lol:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby breguet » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:04 pm

It used to be that my son would get knocked out at 6-7pm about once in two or three weeks and sleep all the way to his usual wake up time the next day. So I have all these movie videos that my husband and I could watch when it happened. But no longer, sigh. We're still hopeful that we can watch them at some point, but, meanwhile, they're gathering dust in the drawers. :(

breguet
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Working With Your Child