Would you hire a 16 year old tutor?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Would you hire a 16 year old tutor?

Postby Jolow » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:17 am

Hi everyone.
I'm currently studying in ACS(I) and will be taking my O Levels later this year.
I am thinking of conducting tuition classes for students up to 16 years old after my O's end in November.

I had all A's for AMath, EMath, Physics and Chemistry for my prelim exams and would be most confident in teaching Secondary 3 and Secondary 4 students. A female friend of mine from RGS would be working with me too in teaching English and Math subjects for parents that are uncomfortable with a tutor of the opposite gender for their child. She also has A's for English and her two Maths. All relevant documents can be provided to prove our grades.

Here are some reasons why I feel someone younger, though less experienced, would be able to be a better tutor.
1. Able to better connect with your child - Many students find it hard to focus when listening to tutors that are much older.
2. The content is fresh in our minds - We can understand the common problems people face when trying to understand the subject hence we are able to explain better
3. Cheaper [15/hr] - The average tutor costs upwards of 30/hr for the secondary level.

Therefore, I would first like to see whether you parents would be willing to hire people my age as your child's tutor, especially when the difference in age could be minimal. Thanks! :imcool:

Jolow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Would you hire a 16 year old tutor?

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:55 am

Hello, Jolow. Good for you for having initiative and the entrepreneurial spirit and I wish you the very best.

I would say that many parents might disagree with your first reason. An older tutor has a certain gravitas which will encourage the tutee to pay attention. However, I have met young tutors who are mature beyond their years.

In terms of your marketing, may I suggest that you offer parents a trial lesson. Parents should pay for this trial lesson of course.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jolow » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:38 pm

Joy of Learning 111 wrote:Hello, Jolow. Good for you for having initiative and the entrepreneurial spirit and I wish you the very best.

I would say that many parents might disagree with your first reason. An older tutor has a certain gravitas which will encourage the tutee to pay attention. However, I have met young tutors who are mature beyond their years.

In terms of your marketing, may I suggest that you offer parents a trial lesson. Parents should pay for this trial lesson of course.

Yes I do agree that older tutors do have some "authority" that would make their tutees more attentive. However, what I meant by the word 'focus' is that students would find having tuition with a teacher of similar age more enjoyable and hence be more motivated in their studies.

It's just like having your "friend" teach you a subject rather than your teacher, it would be much more engaging and students who dislike studying would be more willing to have this type of tuition.

Jolow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby zeemimi » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Another concern will be your level of commitment. While you're quite free after o levels, life's going to get hectic for you when u enter jc. Can u juggle between school cca and the tuition commitment?
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Jolow » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:17 pm

zeemimi wrote:Another concern will be your level of commitment. While you're quite free after o levels, life's going to get hectic for you when u enter jc. Can u juggle between school cca and the tuition commitment?

I'll probably be doing this as a short stint? After entering JC I will conduct fewer tuition classes.
I'm mostly targeting Secondary 3 students to give them a head start to Secondary 4 work!

Jolow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Jolow wrote:I'll probably be doing this as a short stint? After entering JC I will conduct fewer tuition classes.
I'm mostly targeting Secondary 3 students to give them a head start to Secondary 4 work!

That's a negative. I tell you straight out - from the front line - that parents want commitment over a sustained period of time. They go to a lot of trouble finding the right tutor, and are wise enough to know that substantial improvement in a student's mastery of a subject takes prolonged effort.

Probably better that you focus on one subject and develop a real feel for its content and for communicating it. Simply having completed the syllabus yourself recently would not pass muster for many parents.

Take only a few students and be committed for the long-term.

That's all my advice.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby meinteel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Jolow wrote:
zeemimi wrote:Another concern will be your level of commitment. While you're quite free after o levels, life's going to get hectic for you when u enter jc. Can u juggle between school cca and the tuition commitment?

I'll probably be doing this as a short stint? After entering JC I will conduct fewer tuition classes.

Short stint often translate to "quick money". It brings into doubt your commitment to the students even during the few lessons itself. Being able to score well is very different from being able to teach well. Someone with lesser grades might be a better tutor than someone with better grades.

I would advise you to pick either P6 or Sec 4 - O level students. Commit to 1 or 2 subjects through the academic year until they finish up their examinations. This shouldnt take up too much of your time. With only 1-2 classes, it should be around 2-4 hours per week. Lesson preparation can be done in advance when you have bulks of time during public holidays and your own study breaks.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cyberette » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:21 pm

No...what if my DD falls in love with the 16 year old smart male tutor?

What if you guys spend every lesson talking about Taylor Swift and Justin Timberlake?

If it's boy to boy with a mere 2 yr gap, worse. Every lesson, they will be talking about computer games, girls, movies and CCA.

If the age gap is too close, tutor might not command respect and be able to instil "fear" upon the tutee. Tutee will try to bargain for no homework, citing heavy CCA commitments and project work. Tutor is too young to impose it upon the near-peer.

cyberette
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby zbear » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:43 pm

DS has been approached by his junior for tutoring after O levels but DS rejected becos he knows he won't have the time to tutor for 1 year as he will be busy with JC life.

Don't think it's fair to tutees if you are keen to earn quick $$$ only.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby iamastudent » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:07 pm

I am a student tutor myself too. I have been teaching students from Kindergarten to Primary School levels these two years but have decided to stop by the end of December this year as I have to focus on JC commitments next year. I do agree that in terms of authority, student tutors do not have as much control over the behaviours of students hence would only be efficient when the students themselves are self motivated to learn. I''ve always make it a point to clarify that I am a student tutor and hence commitment wise I am really unsure of my own schedule, I need to take leaves when it's near my exams and I can't guarantee any improvements in your child's results of unless your child is willing to learn and complete the assigned work. I think that different parents may be looking for different tutors. Some may want cheap tutors, some may want engaging tutors while some may want experienced tutors. It really depends on what the parents are looking for and in my opinion, if a parent were to contact you, the parent would be looking for student tutors and would have considered the various factors.

iamastudent
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Working With Your Child