Baby shaking his head

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Baby shaking his head

Postby hellowk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Have a qns, my DS is now 11 months and sometimes and usually during meal times, he likes to shake his head left/right.....Was wondering is this normal? Hope that its not something cynical or bad?? Any comments?

hellowk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby BeautifulLife » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi hellowk, my ds lliked to raise up his right hand and fling it in the air nonstop when 6mths old. One fine day, I related the issue to my mum who was the main caregiver back then. I then realized that my ds was imitating the zhao(1) cai(2) mao(1) that was displayed at my mum's house.Haha.My mum said it was my ds's favourite toy. And of course we immediately put the toy away and soon he stopped doing the action. Could your kid be imitating something or someone that he sees often?

BeautifulLife
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby hellowk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 pm

Unless when we tell him NO, we will shake our head as well when we tell him that...Other than that, I really cannot think of anything else...And maybe our dog as well when playing with her toys...

hellowk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby tutormum » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:59 pm

How's his appetite? Some children are fussy eaters and refuse food during meal times. As he can't communicate using words at this stage, he is using body language. My DS1 was slow in speech - only speak when he's about 2 and a half. However, he understood what was said to him and he would nod or shake his head in reply.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hellowk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 am

His appetite is amazing...at least to me.....he can eat like 1.5 bowls (like our rice bowl)...sometimes I wonder should I give him so much, but then I will just feed him till he does not want it...but he's not fat, so I wonder what happens to all the food....he will poo poo like 2 times a day, maybe thats where it end up:P.......but on a serious note, really worried at this point of time, cause I've read that kids with autism will shake his head as well..and my wife is a kindergarten teacher, she mentioned that in her class, there is one kid who does it as well...and he has difficulty in learning....so just wonder whether anyone faces this problem...just hope that its a passing phase...as a first time parent, there are so many things that I experiencing...

hellowk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby hellowk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:22 am

And to share another thing, when he was 5mths old, he had fever (low grade) for like 1 month, countless pediatrician, 2 different hospitals and countless blood drawing could shed any light to his condition. And now he will have phobia for people who wears masks cause everytime he sees that, he will be reminded of the time in hospital when the nurse will draw his blood. When all things fail, we went to a Chinese TCM doc who cured my wife's asthma when she was a kid. Then after eating the chinese medicine, the fever subsided. Either he was cured by the medicine or by himself, we do not know. But the episode was nerve wreaking

hellowk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:28 am

hi hellowk, I recalled my dd also did that when she was a baby time but hers during bed time. Before she got into sleep, she would do that, lie on the bed, shake her head left and right many times, then she would doze off. I guess its either frustration, couldn't get into sleep or for fun. After a few months, as she grew older, she stop doing that. :D

I know some kids, like to turn round and round, to make themselves giddy, with the environment rotating, purely for fun. I am not sure if you child is doing for that fun too ? :lol:

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby worryfather » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 pm

hello hellowk,

I think maybe your DS just trying to play with you. If his feeding is ok, sleeps well, and like normal baby, should be fine. Maybe it is his normal reaction during meal time.

My DD is 15 months old. She also likes to shake her head left right. She started doing that since young, think around 7 months old. She just shakes her head for no particular reason, as she is playing.
After shaking her head, she will look at us and laugh.

We were also quite worry about her then, but since she is quite happy doing it, so we didn't bother too much about it now.

worryfather
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby KopiYing » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am

Mine shaked his head during sleeping since baby, left n right nonstop. probably trying to find a comfortable position but the habit went off as he grows older so shouldnt be a big problem.

KopiYing
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby hellowk » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Thanks all for the reply! It really helps knowing that he might be playing or experiencing something new or imitating others....Really appreciate it:)

hellowk
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Working With Your Child