Walking Primary School Children to School

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Walking Primary School Children to School

Postby mighty ninety » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:08 am

Hi,

My child is entering primary school next year. We live relatively near to his school and i am contemplating whether i should drive him to school or let him walk on his own. Do you think its safe to allow him to walk by himself or should i drive him to school ? What are your opinions on allowing children to walk to school by themselves?

mighty ninety
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Walking Primary School Children to School

Postby Vevey » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:22 am

My eldest boy walked home after sch since p3 term4 but I don't find it safe to let him walk to sch in the dawn. Blurry eyed kids n rushed drivers. He walks to sch himself if reporting time is later than 8am during sch hol.

Guess depends on your comfort zone n how many junctions etc. Another option is to walk/cycle him to sch which might b faster than driving n jam at sch gate.

Vevey
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby happy to be mum » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 am

My eldest boy started to walk to and fro to school from P4, school is less than 10 mins walk. But since the beginning of this year, his little P1 brother joins him and no choice, has to walk both of them again cause do not trust the P1 to walk to school without any supervision.

I can see my eldest tries to distance himself when we walk to school. He must be thinking he is big enough already and why do I or my helper need to tag along ;) I have explained to him that I trust him to walk to school himself but it is because of his little brother that we have to do it again.

Actually I still see a lot of helpers or parents walking their bigger kids to school and I think we should learn how to let go. One of my P5 boy's friend has actually requested his parents to let him walk to school himself, his Mum said yes but his dad said no!

happy to be mum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby zeemimi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:52 am

There is no right or wrong on whether we should walk our kids to school, when to let go, etc. It depends on each kid and also on the circumstances surrounding, e.g. is it a quiet or noisy neighbourhood, are there many construction work around, etc.

For a P1, at least walk a few times with him to get him familiar with what to look out for. Some kids are still quite blur while others are more aware of surroundings.
zeemimi
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:58 pm

A lot depends on your child's maturity. Can you depend on him to keep rules and not wander away or do anything dangerous? How dangerous is the route? There is another option which you have not mentioned - walking him to school. This may be the best as he can learn "on the job" from you all the pitfalls of the route, and you can assess his readiness to go it alone.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:11 pm

mighty ninety wrote:Hi,

My child is entering primary school next year. We live relatively near to his school and i am contemplating whether i should drive him to school or let him walk on his own. Do you think its safe to allow him to walk by himself or should i drive him to school ? What are your opinions on allowing children to walk to school by themselves?

Since you can, please drive him to school. If walking, do not let him walk alone. My reason, other than the child's maturity (since every child is different), is that P1 kids are still very short, not easy to see. Your child may be alert, but other road users may not be.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:41 pm

mighty ninety wrote:Hi,

My child is entering primary school next year. We live relatively near to his school and i am contemplating whether i should drive him to school or let him walk on his own.

Do you think its safe to allow him to walk by himself or should i drive him to school ?

What are your opinions on allowing children to walk to school by themselves?

better send him to school, safely

some people (kidnapping children crime syndicate group or those un-employed) may be monitoring which little children go to school alone on their way, observe their daily habitual time of walking past this lane, walking towards school, set a plan to kidnap children, sell them overseas

P1 kids are young and defenceless, against these wicked people targeting kids crime group. Should anything happen to their kid, parents will regret for life

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Working With Your Child