Bonding with your children

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Bonding with your children

Postby flo3b » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi all,

This discussion is open to all whom can share their experiences in bonding strongly with their kids.

I just got back from Malaysia yesterday. I attended a seminar from a parent whom has 5 kids that are world class prodigies. She mentioned about parent-child bonding. It was a great mind opener because sometimes in life we take things for granted. I have 3 hyper boys whom kept me constantly on my toes. But at the end of the day, it is us parents who mould them for tomorrow.

The first 5 years of our child's life is very crucial. They are like sponges and can absorb information entirely. However, parents' constant loves, motivation, and attention is essential in guiding them thru.

I hope many other parents can open up and share their experiences for the benefit of us parents. I am going to extract some information from my seminar resources and share it with all the parents here.

flo3b
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 am

Hi flo3b, "I attended a seminar from a parent whom has 5 kids that are world class prodigies" - hey, this sounds like one of our parent here, 2ppaamm. :D :D

Yes, please share with us what you have learn from the seminar. TIA :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby csc » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 am

On the topic of bonding, I would like to share one close to my heart.

I love taking long walks along park connectors with my husband and teenage children. It is during those times we open up and talk about our life and feelings. Great moments for connecting minds and hearts. :lol:

csc
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rocklee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:13 am

I love the bonding time with my children most. I am a full time working mum and therefore have very limited time with my children on weeknites. However, I have been spending at least 15 mins talking to my children everyday before they go to bed since young. We will chat about anything under the sun. It is through these daily conversations that that I see things through their eyes and understand their feelings better. I just hope that my children will confide in me even when they grow up.

There are many ways that you can bond with your children. A stroll at the park holding each other's hands, reading a book together, playing a word search game or simply laze around and do nothing. I believe our presence makes a difference.

rocklee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby shenielle78 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Even though my workload took a toll on me, my hubby and I make an effort to go out on weekends and spent time leisurely. My fav place will be the beach or Vivo City.

On top of that, every night I will read story books to my kids and hubby will sometimes become the prop or actor in the story.. the kids love it and they think that hubby is a clown.

I read an article on meta-physics and sub conscious mind. It is best to communicate with your child when they are sleeping. Talk to them softly and say things that motivate/encourage them. Its very effective as I see changes in my kids.

Hope this tips help.

Shenielle

shenielle78
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby daisyt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 pm

shenielle78 wrote:I read an article on meta-physics and sub conscious mind. It is best to communicate with your child when they are sleeping. Talk to them softly and say things that motivate/encourage them. Its very effective as I see changes in my kids.

Hope this tips help.

Shenielle

Hi Shenielle, talk after they are in deep sleep or just fell asleep ? This is very interesting. :D :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 pm

shenielle78 wrote:
I read an article on meta-physics and sub conscious mind. It is best to communicate with your child when they are sleeping. Talk to them softly and say things that motivate/encourage them. Its very effective as I see changes in my kids.

Hope this tips help.

Shenielle

I did that a lot last time when DD was between 2-4yrs old. She wakes up with nightmares all the time. So when she is falling asleep or at time already sleeping, I will assure her that she is safe and secure, that she will have happy dreams and we will always be there for her. But whatever anxieties that she has is too much for my subliminal messages. haha. Or maybe cos mummy was anxious when trying to send these messages and she picked up on my anxiety instead. Those were my desparate sleep deprived years.

Actually I miss my evening walks with DD which we use to take together with DS before she started P1. Now it is just DS and me. But I enjoy talking about her day in school while we pack her bag together. Little snatches of 10mins here and there where it is just DD and me. The short drive to and from childcare is also a great bonding time for me and DS.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Working With Your Child