School Days Morning Rush

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

School Days Morning Rush

Postby eve74sg » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 am

since we are at this topic, i would like to ask if most if you send/drive your kids to school/s every morning?

we had bad morning battles on some days to get kids to hurry, etc...and getting up so early to send them to school is a hassle for us too :p

any good solutions or suggestions? my girls are 10 and 15.

eve74sg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: School Days Morning Rush

Postby BlueBells » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:45 am

When the kids are both in the same primary school, it makes sense for us to send them to school so they can sleep a bit longer.

When DD1 starts secondary school, she takes public transport because she wants to do it. Novelty wears off after a while, but too bad, she still has to take public transport because DD2 is still in primary school. But we do send her on rainy days.

Now that both are in secondary schools, everyone leaves the house together at 6.15, and we send both to school.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 am

eve74sg wrote:since we are at this topic, i would like to ask if most if you send/drive your kids to school/s every morning?

we had bad morning battles on some days to get kids to hurry, etc...and getting up so early to send them to school is a hassle for us too :p

hubby drives both to school every morning...they leave at 625am.
son's school is 5 minutes drive away, but with so many traffic lights, it becomes a longer journey. daughter in p6 starts school at 740am.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:58 am

I will have this problem next year when my P6 goes Sec 1 and my younger ones are still in P school. The schools are not in the same proximity. Now location of sec schools also important to ensure a smooth morning ride journey.

Does Sec school usually start later?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby janet88 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:15 am

Imp75 wrote:I will have this problem next year when my P6 goes Sec 1 and my younger ones are still in P school. The schools are not in the same proximity. Now location of sec schools also important to ensure a smooth morning ride journey.

Does Sec school usually start later?

secondary schools usually start at 715am.
next year, hubby will have to send only younger to school. older one will finish o levels this year.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:51 pm

eve74sg wrote:since we are at this topic, i would like to ask if most if you send/drive your kids to school/s every morning?

My girls are now 16 and 19, and they leave the house at 6.45am. For the last couple of years, one had to leave a 6.25am. Both take MRT/bus to their schools (different schools). After some trial and error, my girls decided that they prefer to have a bit more time in the morning rather than be rushed, so we get up at 5.50am. This gives them time to dress, wash, eat, read a bit, check their phones for overnight messages etc before leaving. My preferred option is to wake as late as possible and do things quickly, but they don't like that. So maybe getting your kids to wake a bit earlier might do the trick?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nebbermind » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:53 pm

Donch rush them...let them be late and let them decide if it's worth the extra few mins of sleep

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Oh, forgot to add - for the recalcitrant ones, letting them be late for school once or twice (especially if they get booked and have to do detention or something) is a great incentive for getting moving in the mornings!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlueBells » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:42 pm

slmkhoo wrote:Oh, forgot to add - for the recalcitrant ones, letting them be late for school once or twice (especially if they get booked and have to do detention or something) is a great incentive for getting moving in the mornings!

This works like magic for DD2, never booked before, but was close, and was once late in primary school and she has been reminding DD1 of it for the longest time.

BlueBells
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby jetsetter » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:53 pm

I have little tolerance for lateness. I dislike speeding, cutting queues and getting caught in a bad jam due to child's recalcitrance or sleepiness. I've a very strict cut-off time that all must leave the house, by hook/crook, even if it means having to munch the bun in the car.

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Working With Your Child