Need advise

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Need advise

Postby NatHaroro » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:46 am

I have a son who is in P6 this year, we moved to Punggol when he was in P5, so I never transfer him to the school in Punggol and anyway no way to transfer cos its all FULL!

So, he has to wake up at 5.30am and step out of the house at 6.10am the latest, as his school is in Macpherson. By the time he reach home is already about 5+pm. As PSLE year, they will have remedial for 4 days and one day for CCA. He has to shower and do his homework immediately already, sometimes he has to eat his dinner while doing his homework.

What I wanted ask is, because of the long journey, remedials and school homework, should I let him do anymore assessment books? Maybe weekends? But if so, it seems he dun have any play time for him. Every day is only study and study.

And also school teachers are starting to revise the topics with them, issit really enough?

I duno how I should help in his PSLE. I dun wanna stress him with more n more assessment books either.. but he is also one who never automatically do his assessment books de, I still have to tell him so... hais....

And how should I help in his Maths and Chinese? His Chinese failed in P5. score 40+. I heard that read more textbooks, cope and write the compo? (华文作文)and it helps?

:?: Kindly advise... :thankyou:

NatHaroro
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Need advise

Postby iceicebaby_ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:32 pm

I think you should talk to his school teacher about this and tell her that his classes in school have to be most effective so he doesnt waste time in school. Tell his teachers to give him extra guidance in subjects hes bad at. Tell your boy that if he pays attention in school and studies hard in school, you wont have to give him tuition thats going to take up more of his play time. Im sure he treasures his play time.

If he doesnt improve in school or teacher says hes not trying, talk to him about it again. If still mischievous and playful, i think you should get him a private tutor. Because he is spending his play time in school :roll:

Really dont stress him out TOO MUCH, some kids become so stressed their minds are blank when they go to exam. Get him to get enough sleep too :snooze: Quality sleep is really important as well as diet. Especially that he spends so much time Prepare something for him to bring to school in the morning, a good breakfast can energize the child. :idea:

iceicebaby_
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby CatMoon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:32 pm

Yep, SLEEP is important - being tired & sleepy does not help him last the whole day. Make sure he's in bed by 10pm sharp.

Since there are remedials and all, why the extra assessments?
Instead, it's more effective for him to revise all the worksheets he had already done in school. Make sure he goes over the questions he got wrong answers to. Just read (faster this way).

For Chinese, revise the Vocab books as most of the tingxie words will appear in many of the sections. For compositions, use the modular approach: Beginning, Middle and Conclusion. E.g. Start with flashback technique.... Prepare the modular blocks for typical compo which you can copy from model compo books. E.g. doing a good deed, do wrong/feel guilty, a lesson learnt, etc. Just choose one standard model to follow for each type and get him to memorise. Not more than 5 compo.

You can pm me for more techniques if you got more questions.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby NatHaroro » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:50 pm

Wa.. Thanks iceicebaby and catmoon. Ok so I shall stop those topics assessments books. But how about those past PSLE exam papers? I heard many ppl told me it's very effective to do more past exam papers lei...

NatHaroro
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:08 pm

I would prefer not to over stress the kid as teachers are already pressurizing them. Life should go on as per normal albeit a little busier. Continue most of the usual family activities and rituals.

What time does he sleep? Sleep and good diet (home boiled soups, lots of salmon and veges etc) are more important. Try to also limit his mobile devices time. I find that tires the kid out mentally instead of de-stressing.

Best is to set a timetable (boys need regiment and direction) so that you can target the weaker areas and manage his time properly. Use the limited time efficiently for weaker subjects.

Yes, most boys are still playful at this age... give him more pep talks but no need to pressurize.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby NatHaroro » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:29 pm

cherrygal wrote:I would prefer not to over stress the kid as teachers are already pressurizing them. Life should go on as per normal albeit a little busier. Continue most of the usual family activities and rituals.

What time does he sleep? Sleep and good diet (home boiled soups, lots of salmon and veges etc) are more important. Try to also limit his mobile devices time. I find that tires the kid out mentally instead of de-stressing.

Best is to set a timetable (boys need regiment and direction) so that you can target the weaker areas and manage his time properly. Use the limited time efficiently for weaker subjects.

Yes, most boys are still playful at this age... give him more pep talks but no need to pressurize.

Hi cherry gal, my ds sleeps b4 10pm. Earliest 9. His previous results for the past few years were not very good, no rise but down... Tats y I will feel quite worried. Cos wondering if I dun stress him abit he might have slack even more.

NatHaroro
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby momkiasu » Tue May 10, 2016 10:44 am

Might not be a good idea to pressurize him with too many assessment books also revision. Check with his teachers what are the topics that they are revising and also check with your boy if he is coping well. Play time is definitely very important to him, ensure him that he will get his sufficient play time while at the same time, guide him through his homework and revision.

Do not overstretch his studying time and ensures that he sleeps on time as sufficient sleep is very critical for a child's focus in class. Might want to prepare some homecooked food which is healthy and nutritious for him to boost his immune system to prevent him from falling sick.

Hope this helps, cheers :)

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby KateMilady » Tue May 31, 2016 3:08 am

Looking back now, it seems to me that the moment someone over was clearly favorable to us. I'm like crazy looking for a job and at the same time nanny. First, perhaps, as many have developed, phoned the agency, and soon realized that simply will not pull their prices. Plus, they did not give the guarantee of human purity. All of my questions: "How do you check people?" - They said that they look a certificate from the doctor and punched by a police base and all ... All this can be done very, putting a bit of work and asking for help from friends. Inquiries can be bought at all. So it caused a little confidence. So I decided to rely on the recommendations of people I know. I began to look for a nanny for friends, relatives and friends. Mother stepped aside once themselves. But they began to take an active part in the search. Throughout this whirlwind was one thing, "but" ... I was afraid to leave the small, native man with a stranger to me man, I knew that first I had to get used to trust him, and only then to entrust him with the child. Nanny needed for the day, the daughter was 10 months old, say, if something goes wrong, it just can not. However, there was hope for the eldest son, at the time he was 10 years old and understand adult behavior adequacy he could, but the hope, as you know, weak.

KateMilady
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Working With Your Child