Perverts/pedophiles on the MRT/bus

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Perverts/pedophiles on the MRT/bus

Postby iceicebaby_ » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi guys, im worried about kids these days.. There are so many perverts/pedophiles on the train and bus these days it really worries me. Just received news from my best friend that her daughter was being rubbed against by an older man in the MRT today. It scares me because my daughter was also a victim to this exact situation and she was too scared to tell me until we got home. She was only 12 that time!! What a sick pedophile! Both situations were men rubbing their groin against our girls backs n butt in a crowded train. I am sick of these people always running away before we realize what happened. Our kids are defenseless and dont know what to do! Cant move cuz too crowded, cant say sexual assault because they can say that everyone is 'forced' to have body contact since its packed. I want to report them but i tried and it didnt work.

After my daughter told me about the man, i was so furious and reported to the newspaper but they didnt post anything to warn other parents and people about these things. It simply cant be unheard of!

I know a lot of people fall victim to this, how do we stand up to it? Dont mistaken, boys can also be victims! you never what those pedophiles are thinking of. What would you do if you are in their shoes(being young)? And what would you do as a parent/advice as a friend after hearing this?

iceicebaby_
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Perverts/pedophiles on the MRT/bus

Postby Imp75 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Go home in pairs at least? Perverts won't strike if you are not alone?
Use school bag to shield certain body parts?

Imp75
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby rains » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:29 pm

I asked my kid to snap a picture of the man with her phone, but can we lodge a police report using a picture? The molester did not appear at the same spot again.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby gardener » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Report to police ASAP even without photo. Buses and trains have CCTVs that may have captured the culprit in action.

gardener
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:47 pm

Shout when feel touched.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sushi88 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Since the authorities like to install cameras for road safety and like to encourage ppl to take public transport...then install MORE CCTVs in public transport to deter such perverts please..... When caught they have to pay a hefty fine of $10,000 or more severe penalty ......so do you think they will install more cameras in MRT n buses now? Big business!!!! :wink: Put big posters up to warn potential law breakers too.

Culturally I heard some people do not have the concept of inner space..whether real or not...I am not sure..but they tend to stick close physically...so this rule can change this unhealthy social culture of these people and keep the perverts off the poor young people. Times have changed...in poorer economy and 3rd world people suffer such assaults in silence but why should people in first world economy continue to suffer? We cannot only move our economy and not improve the society.

If the government is serious about getting people to go by public transport...packing people like sardines is also like going through hell for people with OCD which they did not ask for.....so something has to be done about personal space if happy index is to be preserved.

Actually I am beginning to like the cctv idea more and more. The cctv in HDB lifts was meant for monitoring cleanliness issues but it ended up acting as crime watch.... It is good to know that we think no crime does not mean it does not happen...just that not captured until now.
Last edited by sushi88 on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:11 pm

I chanced upon a number of perverts when I was a teenager up til travelling to and fro my workplace.
Can only remind the kids to be vigilant and use their bag/files to protect themselves, stick to a group of friends or alight the bus when they feel not comfy.

Get them to remove their name tags when leaving school compound. Some perverts may remember the kid's name and call out to them, say they will go school visit them, try to befriend them etc and knowing which school (uniform), the kid may feel even more frightened.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby rains » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:14 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Shout when feel touched.

It won't work as an advice. Young girls usually freeze when it happens. They are not sure if the molester is doing on purpose. And if they shout, they are worried about how others would look at them. Will others believe them or dismiss their shout for help as being overly sensitive? They are usually too shocked to react and followed by being overcomed with a sense of shame and embarrassment.

I ask my kid to express how she feels at that moment aloud when such things happen again eg. turn to that man and say it like it is,"Your hand is under my skirt." as normally the bus or train should not be that noisy. It should attract unwanted attention to that man and shock him instead. But she said she wouldn't dare to say it.

rains
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:16 pm

rains wrote:
starlight1968sg wrote:Shout when feel touched.

It won't work as an advice. Young girls usually freeze when it happens. They are not sure if the molester is doing on purpose. And if they shout, they are worried about how others would look at them. Will others believe them or dismiss their shout for help as being overly sensitive? They are usually too shocked to react and followed by being overcomed with a sense of shame and embarrassment.

I ask my kid to express how she feels at that moment aloud when such things happen again eg. turn to that man and say it like it is,"Your hand is under my skirt." as normally the bus or train should not be that noisy. It should attract unwanted attention to that man and shock him instead. But she said she wouldn't dare to say it.

I just tell my kids to say "Excuse me!" or "Hey!" loudly. Easier to say and will attract attention too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:44 am

I told DD if she has a seat, seat on the outside so that she can move away easily if she feels uncomfortable. Not to seat all the way at the back on an empty bus if she is travelling alone. If she thinks anyone is touching or pressing too much against her but not sure if it is deliberate, move away. If she is sure it is deliberate, tell the driver if she can get to him/her, if not, say as loudly as she can Stop pushing or leaning on me!

I told her it is not her fault be disgusted, be angry but don't be afraid.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Working With Your Child