How to motivate your child to read independently?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.
Carol222
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: How to motivate your child to read independently?

Post by Carol222 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm

If a child is generally weak in the language, it is not enough just to get him or her to read more books. You need to read aloud to him/her because by listening to the story read with the proper enunciation and inflection, they will understand and appreciate the language better.

Increa-edu
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Increa-edu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 pm

Also, you can ask yourself why do you want your child to read? If the benefits can be gotten through other methods, you don't have to get it through reading actually.

konver911
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by konver911 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 pm

1. Don't push your child. When reading with your child, don't force him to read.
2. Give him privacy. Give him time alone to read without an audience.
3. Read to a different audience. Suggest that he read to a puppy, younger sibling, or stuffed animal.
4. Let your child see you struggle with words.
5. Don't overcorrect.
Alsp, there are a lot of methods how to do this in anoter way, you can find it on pay for essay. Also there are a lot of videos on YouTube.

Kyrias
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Kyrias » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:23 am

I find that children will much better accept things when they are challenged to do something on your own but through sort of game. It is very important that reading is not some sort of burden for them or that they must do. It needs to be part of play-game, and they will love it

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin
Total Likes:324

Post by ChiefKiasu » Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Have you noticed that kids seem to follow their parents' footsteps? It's no surprise, because at that young age, they are looking for an example to follow. Just be an example to them by reading what you like in front of them and I'm sure they will pick it up after a while.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Post by zac's mum » Wed May 22, 2019 6:13 am

Increa-edu wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:51 pm
Also, you can ask yourself why do you want your child to read? If the benefits can be gotten through other methods, you don't have to get it through reading actually.
:? Can ALL the benefits of reading be obtained thru other methods? Do share.

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by swortionery » Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 am

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:37 pm
Have you noticed that kids seem to follow their parents' footsteps? It's no surprise, because at that young age, they are looking for an example to follow. Just be an example to them by reading what you like in front of them and I'm sure they will pick it up after a while.
Oh yeah, cannot stress enough how important modelling is!

Just wanna share an anecdote involving me and a student whom I'd been teaching since P2 (he's now in Sec 1). He'd been diagnosed with mild speech and language impairments back in 2014. He also wasn't the biggest fan of reading, but through games, I managed to get him interested in the creative process of crafting narratives.

A couple of months back, I introduced him to the wonderful world of pulp fiction stories (short stories that were most popular during the early part of the 20th century). We talked about elder gods (Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, Shoggoth), sword and sorcery (which my company's name is derived from), and other topics related to pulp fiction. I even went through snippets from the stories.

A while later, he said something that surprised me: "I wish you were teaching me literature in school. It's very lame. We're doing kiddy stories like Little Red Riding Hood. I prefer something like the elder gods." (I'm quoting almost verbatim here.) You could tell the kid was really entertained by the pacing and content of such stories, and that I'd gotten through to him in my passion for them (though it probably also helps that these stories are entertaining enough by themselves).

What I'm trying to say here is, think of modelling like marketing. Sure, reading is one of the greatest joys of life, but without an authority figure to emulate, children will not be able to see it.

Gilian039
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Gilian039 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:37 am

Aside from being a role model, you can also surround your children with reading materials. Children with a large collection of reading resources in their homes score higher and perform better on standardized tests.

JaneMary
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by JaneMary » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Dear PlayfulFairy,
You actually have no problem to solve.
Enjoy the process of role playing with her.
This is fun for her, and I know can be tiring for you.
But she will grow out it as she grows older.
So do cherish the moments that you can enjoy the role playing process with her.
The role playing game is not only engaging, it will also help your child to develop great communication skills and confidence in presentation in the days ahead of her.

AnneS
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by AnneS » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:01 pm

Role playing definitely has a big part on her learning process.. gaining more self confidence and being able to communicate properly are just a few of the skills that she will gain. This is a good start for her to learn more.