Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Listening to music while doing homework?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: Listening to music while doing homework?

Postby MsKyoko » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:07 pm

floppy wrote:Besides music as white noise, I find music a very useful mnemonic technique to deploy in memorizing difficult subjects / topics.

Think of the first thing we memorize as a child... the 26 alphabets and their sequence. Can you sing the ABC song? :wink:

Besides the ABC song, you can combine music with your “memory palace.” For e.g., you can associate a song or a medley to a historical event, or a sequence of events, or a concept, or a chapter in the textbook etc. It's similar to how sound tracks work themself into your sub-consciousness, e.g. everyone knows the Star Wars tune, a two-note rhythm that represents a shark, the Titanic song, etc. I bet K drama fans can remember the sequence of the show once they hear a song from the show (probably better than they can remember the history of Singapore).

Nearly everything can be condensed into a playlist.

I think listening to music is good for them,helps them to concentrate and that's why I allow DDs to listen to music only when they are doing my assignments.

MsKyoko
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby JS rolling » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:21 pm

I think there really are some kids who are more comfortable studying with music. I guess it helps them relax and activate the brain, so to speak. I try not to call out this habit especially if it works to his advantage.

JS rolling
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Specialkids » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:43 pm

I do that too. So does my son. I have ADHD. He has ADD. I listen to soft music. He, the new generation quick tempo loud ones. Both of us get our work done better. The music tunes out other thoughts that may distract. Strangely the music helps us focus but not distract us.

Specialkids
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby meinteel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:24 pm

https://lejour.edu.sg/why/

There are two modes of thinking - focused and diffused. If the homework is practise related (simply copying and pasting, or maths problems with which they are very familiar with by now - just practising speed), listening to music is fine. However, if they are required to go through a certain thought process (diffused mode of thinking), the music can be very disruptive.

It would be better for the child to learn to focus on his/her work without any aids (music, treats etc). Homework should be done, as much as possible under examination like conditions. If you only got 1 hour for this section, get it done in that hour. You can do whatever you want after but not during homework time.

This trains their grit and the delay in gratification has been proven to be useful for children's development.

meinteel
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Rachel572 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:52 am

I used to listen to instrumental music. It is relaxing, has a soothing effect and is less distracting than music with lyrics.

Rachel572
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ilovelaksa » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:52 am

I do not allow this when my children studies/do their hw. Without music, they complete their work in 1h. With it, they take more than 3h.
But doing artwork/projects, housework or cooking is fine. They also do their regular runs with ipods too : )

ilovelaksa
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres