Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safely?

Parental influence on children in the first 12 years of their lives have a permanent effect. Unfortunately, children come with no user manual. Each child is different from the other. Discuss how to handle emotional and educational needs of your child here.

Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby floppy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:28 am

phtthp wrote:There is quite a big difference in terms of standard and syllabus taught, for subjects (English, Maths, Science) taught between Sg local schools vs non-Sg school overseas.


While the statement is generally true, there are many exceptions, especially in the state of Johor and Penang. If TS is planning to send his kids to Foon Yew in Johor for their secondary education, it's just as good or even better than some of our schools in Singapore.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5321
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Total Likes: 100


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby floppy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:32 am

FishFingers wrote:
Hope they will get the chance to study in St Nicks and VJC someday.Still possible to do so?


Singapore is a meritocratic society. It means that if they are good, they get to choose what they like / want. If they are not so good, they get to choose what others don't like / want.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5321
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Total Likes: 100


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby FishFingers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:35 am

floppy wrote:
phtthp wrote:There is quite a big difference in terms of standard and syllabus taught, for subjects (English, Maths, Science) taught between Sg local schools vs non-Sg school overseas.


While the statement is generally true, there are many exceptions, especially in the state of Johor and Penang. If TS is planning to send his kids to Foon Yew in Johor for their secondary education, it's just as good or even better than some of our schools in Singapore.


I heard good reviews abut Foon Yew too.

Maybe another option if St Nicks is out.

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:04 am

The main reason I would cite to your girls for applying for SC is that so your family all shares the same citizenship (I presume your wife is an SC now?). Persuade them based on family reasons first, and education etc as secondary reasons. But as parents, you do have the final and determining say, just that you don't want to make them rebellious over this issue.

As for place of birth, it's not a big issue. Both my daughters were born overseas, so whenever they fill forms, they have to remember to put in the correct place. And when they are asked to produce their BC, they also have to produce their citizenship cert along with their foreign BC. I believe it also affects their NRIC no. - the 3rd digit for those born overseas seems to be 9. At least that's the case for both my girls.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10747
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 195


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby floppy » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:18 am

slmkhoo wrote:I believe it also affects their NRIC no. - the 3rd digit for those born overseas seems to be 9. At least that's the case for both my girls.


First alphabet is the century (S for 19th C, T for Y2K onwards, likewise F / G for foreigners).

First 2 digits state the year of birth (except for those born before 1968).

The 3rd digit tells you which month the holder is born in (if he / she is born locally), or whether they are naturalized citizens, or citizens born overseas :wink:

Last alphabet is a checksum.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5321
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:48 pm
Total Likes: 100



Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby FishFingers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:30 am

slmkhoo wrote:The main reason I would cite to your girls for applying for SC is that so your family all shares the same citizenship (I presume your wife is an SC now?). Persuade them based on family reasons first, and education etc as secondary reasons. But as parents, you do have the final and determining say, just that you don't want to make them rebellious over this issue.

As for place of birth, it's not a big issue. Both my daughters were born overseas, so whenever they fill forms, they have to remember to put in the correct place. And when they are asked to produce their BC, they also have to produce their citizenship cert along with their foreign BC. I believe it also affects their NRIC no. - the 3rd digit for those born overseas seems to be 9. At least that's the case for both my girls.


Yeah,my wife converted 10 years ago when she was 22.

At least,the house has became livelier now.

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby phtthp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

FishFingers wrote:I heard good reviews abut Foon Yew too.

Maybe another option if St Nicks is out.

Some of our Sg TCS actors / actresses like Chen HanWei, Apple Hong, Yao Wenglong are Alumni from Foon Yew High school :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foon_Yew_High_School

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 16838
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:04 pm
Total Likes: 87


Re: Teaching my girls to get to/from school in Malaysia safe

Postby FishFingers » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 pm

phtthp wrote:
FishFingers wrote:I heard good reviews abut Foon Yew too.

Maybe another option if St Nicks is out.

Some of our Sg TCS actors / actresses like Chen HanWei, Apple Hong, Yao Wenglong are Alumni from Foon Yew High school :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foon_Yew_High_School


But their Chinese is really jialat,even worse than mine.

Think you have to do well in Chinese to get into Foon Yew.

My wife said it would be really great if they can be like her and study in St Nicks and VJC after that.Follow in her footsteps.

I will try to apply citizenship for them now I know that they are qualified for it.

FishFingers
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 am
Total Likes: 0


Previous

Return to Working With Your Child

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres